1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed re this rose bush !!

Discussion in 'Roses' started by barryman, Jul 11, 2022.

1. barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
    +30
    I was given this rose bush about seven or eight years ago. It produced a few lovely yellow flowers - from memory I think it was called "Arthur Bell". Anyway, after three years of flowering it suddenly stopped and went downhill. In desperation a couple of years ago I cut it down to the base.

A stem has formed at the base and this year has produced upward growth (at first I thought it might be a sucker but now I don't think so) but no flower buds. You can see the "stump" in the photo which was the original stem. Don't worry about the black stuff on top of the soil - it's just banana skins I put down to try and nourish it a bit more !!

So, my question is what do I do now?? Wait till winter and cut it back again, or something else.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Rose 1.jpg Rose 2.jpg Rose 1.jpg Rose 2.jpg

Rose 1.jpg Rose 2.jpg

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,866
    Good afternoon @barryman if it was my Rose my friend I would if its been in that same pot for 7/8 years the first thing I would do is prune it right down and repot it into a much larger pot/container with some crocks in the bottom and John Innes No 3 compost.Banana skins contain Potassium in moderation are ok

Arthur Bell (McGredy 1959

Floribunda. Golden-yellow, ages to lighter . Strong fragrance. Large, double (17-25 petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters bloom form. Occasional repeat later in the season. Height of 30" to 42" (75 to 105 cm). Width of 2' (60 cm). Samuel Darragh (1932-2019) McGredy IV (1959).

• Like Like x 1
    • barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
      +30
      Thanks for advice. I presume I would do this repotting in the autumn/early winter and not right now in the height of summer....is this correct??

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,866
      Good evening @barryman my friend my apologies I should have mentioned the correct time to do the repotting would be when the Rose is in its dormant state which as you have stated would be in the Autumn/Winter:smile::blue thumb:

Not correct
      ps But if it were my Rose I would attempt it now so that it would have time to settle in and grow just a little before the winter sets in sometimes I go against what other Rosarians and books say but only because it has worked for me in the past it is entirely up to you my friend;):smile:

ps.Rules are meant to guide you not bind you

• Agree Agree x 2
      • barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
        +30
        Well, today I decided "why wait till Autumn"? I'm thinking that simply repotting it into decent soil is hardly going to kill it !!! We'll just see what happens. I've cut it back quite a bit so that it's not wasting energy on feeding all the upper leaves and if it's still alive in October then I'll cut it back to near the base, cover it for the winter, then see what happens towards Spring 2023.

Thanks for help.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Joo

Joo Apprentice Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +5
          Not that I'm an expert by any means but a couple of months ago we cut back and relocated a beautiful rose from my daughter's arch and planted it next to our arch. I really thought I'd stressed it out and killed it but no!!! It's budding and flowering beautifully.

• Like Like x 1
          • barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
            +30
            I'm waiting to see if mine survives the severe cutting back and repotting I did a fortnight ago. It's still got green shoots and leaves so all is not lost......yet !!

• Like Like x 1
            • Christine Treharne

Christine Treharne Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +45
              I'm another rule breaker. My Alchemist only flowers once in the year so I had to move it now to get maximum growth for next year. Fingers crossed. It took me about half an hour to get it into it's new spot

• Like Like x 1