1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Sago palm

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by steveb1973, Feb 25, 2006.

1. steveb1973

steveb1973 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My once dark shiny green sago palm has started slowly turning yellow......it is very rarely watered..probably every 2 to 3 weeks approx half a cup amount into the centre of the stem...
    is the yellowing a result of over/under watering...lack of sunlight or something else.??? [​IMG] ..it sits between the kitchen and dining room approx 5 mtr from french doors..so in a moderately bright position....but no direct sun. i'm attempting to add a picture of it to my posting.

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,496
    I have a small sago(?) but do not really know that much about cycads. Go to www.palmcentre.co.uk and look at their forum(left side of home page) It deals with palms bananas and other exotics.There are questions about yellow sagos there.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Steve, that doesn't look very good. They can become yellow if they need feeding, but somehow that doesn't look like the problem to me.
    Have a look at the roots, see if there are any rotted ones, or maybe vine weevil.
    Also I dont water mine into the top of the stem, thats for tree ferns, these like a much dryer atmosphere, a bit like palms.

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Do let us know how you get on, I have one as well as hundreds of other gardeners and, mine is not over healthy may be due to the very cold winter.