1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on buying rose trees to put in nice pots

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Gn0me, May 14, 2020.

1. Gn0me

Gn0me Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    I would like to put (well, my wife) about four large pots down one side of the garden with a different coloured rose tree in each one.

I've really no idea about where to get these from and what types are available.
    So far, I've found these:

Standard roses

They're described as growing up to 100cm which I suppose is okay although it would be nice if they could grow about 50% more.

Can these stay in large pots and are these the only type available or are there better ones for the purpose?

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      There are various stem heights involved when using standards. eg; quarter, half and full standard. The latter being what I suspect you want.

There is no problem growing standard roses in pots/containers, IMO at least of 15ltr capacity. Due to the size and shape involved here. I personally would consider sinking the pots into the ground. Strong winds can snap the main stem and thats that.

Todays trading allows for getting almost everythin on line. BEWARE. in this case shop around go and see what you are buying. Good luck.

• Gn0me

Gn0me Gardener

Ratings:
      +45
      Thank you very much for your advice.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      That Bakker site used to be one of the well known quality names from years ago,though hard to say in todays world.

Probably the biggest and more well know name is Austins, but you have to pay top price, their roses are often stocked in garden centers as well as online.
      As to can see from that page there are about 8 or 9 types of roses including Standard, so worth a look around as others might suit you better.

Standards can in pots can look very attractive, but can be prone to wind damage and falling over.

A large Shrub rose or small Climber up against the fence are possible alternatives.

Shop Online

• Smufter

Smufter Gardener

Sales
      Ratings:
      +77
      Can highly recommend Austins for Roses. We have just purchased two, a climber and a shrub. They arrived the other day, superbly packaged and in very, (very), good condition. Yes, they were a little more expensive than other places, but the quality as I say is first class. The premium price was definitely worth it.
      Have already planted the shrub, am just fixing some trellis to the wall behind our patio area and will re-pot the climber there.
      We wanted something with a strong fragrance for the patio wall so went for "The Generous Gardener" and chose "The Fairy" for the shrub.
      Fingers crossed......

I knew I shouldn't have re-visited the Austin's site. Another shrub rose on it's way......

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
      Ratings:
      +284
      I've ordered from David Austin too and would recommend it. My bare root roses came with easy to follow instructions and are flourishing.

I have never heard anyone have a complaint about a rose bought directly from them (and I'm in a Facebook group for DA roses!) - everyone is always very happy with their purchases.

If you're in search of a bargain, able to get to London, and happy to wait, you can pick up David Austin roses with a significant discount if you buy them at the end of the last day of the Chelsea Flower Show. They sell off the ones they've used in the display. A friend of mine picked some up for less than half the usual price.

• Smufter

Smufter Gardener

Sales
      Ratings:
      +77
      Just ordered two more shrub roses.
      "Darcey Bussell" & "The Poet's Wife" to go with the "Roald Dahl" I ordered the other day. Fair old mix of colours to brighten the borders up... :hapflowers2:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020