1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Kirergeshoma Palmate

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Oct 20, 2010.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Hi, I am hoping someone maybe able to help me. A friend is moving house and gave me a good sized clump of the above today. I have a feeling it doesn't like being moved? I live in Scotland and had 1st frost of the Autumn last night and cold again now. Would I be best to plant it straight into the border tomorrow or pot up and keep in an unheated glasshouse till Srping or pot up and keep it in the house somewhere reasonably light? I'd be sad if it doesn't make the move as seems a lovely addition to my garden. Thanks.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
  3. Palmatum

Palmatum Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Silu,

Kirengeshoma is a fabulous plant, well, pair or species strictly speaking...K. palmata is actually very hardy and not the sort of thing that will either require or benefit from being molly-coddled in a greenhouse. They do need a decent period of cold weather to provide a proper dormancy, so I would plant out straight away, ideally in a well-drained, woodland-type soil in semi-shade. A decent mulch will go some way to helping your new clump settle in too. I have divided them at all times of the year without any problem, so I'm sure yours will be fine. They are quite late to emerge in spring, by the way, so don't give up on them!