1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on native hedge

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Shaun Jordan, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Shaun Jordan

Shaun Jordan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I’ve attached below an ‘annotated’ image of what my long term plan is for our new garden so please feel free to comment if you think I’m missing a trick or making an rookie error. Any comments are gratefully received.

My main question for the moment though is the yellow line on the right hand side is the key bit I want to get planted now. I’ve already planted a double staggered native hedge along the same route (without thinking that I really want it to be an evergreen hedge). Do you therefore think I need to pull this hedge out and move it somewhere else or do you think I could plant the evergreen hedge (probably conifers if some kind) in front of the existing one (or leave a small gap between the two?) and they would both be fine?

Thanks

Shaun

82CA221B-55B2-4CC0-B4AA-C2CEA66F6917.jpeg

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,246
    I think you will have to remove the native hedge, it won't thrive with a conifer hedge in front of it. That's a job for winter though, when the hedge is dormant and the ground damper.
    You might consider Yew, native and evergreen, also grows fairly quickly and responds to trimming better than conifer hedging does.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
      +491
      Have you considered planting hollies in your existing hedge? The holly will naturally spread through the deciduous bushes around it. It's pretty slow growing, but it's an option if you want to stick with your native hedge.