1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on planting new hedge

Discussion in 'Trees' started by dsburny, Dec 12, 2016.

1. dsburny

dsburny Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

We have a new house, and I will be looking to plant a hedge for next year. I am thinking of going for a Photinia Red Robin hedge, but I have heard mixed reports about them. I heard they take a lot of work to turn into a good hedge? I have 110m of fencing that will need hedging, so dont want anything that will be an awful lot of work. The local garden centre told me it would be sufficient to space the plants 2 per metre, but I am worried that will look a bit sparse? Does anyone have experience of these types of hedge? Any tips on best time to plant, and anything else I can do to help them? I was planning on killing off a 1m strip of grass, then just planting in the middle of the strip, and covering the dead grass with wood chippings?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips!

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,388
    You're bound to get lots of different suggestions for hedging and all of them will be good. It will be a matter of what you want it to look like and what sort of effort you want to put into it.

Photinia is quite quick growing and looks nice but it has been fashionable for a number of years and is gradually going out of fashion. There are the old faithfuls of privet, or laurel or mixed hedgerows to encourage wildlife.

Whatever you have there will be a fair bit of regular work involved and, with 110m, it's not going to be simple. Most hedges will need cutting at least twice a year (I do mine three times a year) so you will need good cutting equipment that will help reduce the workload.

You say that you have fencing at the moment. What type of fencing is it. Why not just leave the fencing and not bother with hedging if you don't want too much work. If you're going to have hedging I can't see any point in weedkilling the grass as it won't harm the hedge.

I've had my hedging for donkey's years and it has been different sorts in different parts of the garden. I've gradually reduced it to about 200m to save some of the work and converted some areas to wooden fencing. This allows for planting flowers or just laying lawn right up to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • dsburny

dsburny Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      I know it will take a bit of work, which I am up for, but it was the people who said it was very hard work to get a red robin into a good hedge which made me a bit worried about doing it. I know it will need pruned a few times a year which is acceptable. I have fencing up which I put in with the intention of hedging so it is a sheep wire fence.

The reason I was going to kill the grass is because I dont want the grass growing up rounds the new hedge plants and looking unruly/messy. I think the best option here is to bite the bullet and dig it out, and mix in some good compost to help the plants get established. This hedge is for 2 sides of my boundary, and there is also a wooden fence, and a roadside field type hedge of thorns and some other types, which I have already been pruning.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,077
        Not sure if it's suitable for NI but I have quite a lot of beech hedging which is pretty low maintenance. It is not as spectacular as Red Robin but only needs cutting once a year. It retains it's leaves until the spring just as the fresh new leaves appear.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,388
          Red Robin is easy to grow but there are a few negatives, mainly about the conditions it is planted in.

It doesn't like shade but I don't think you will have that problem from your explanation.

Although hardy it isn't keen on cold windy areas so you need to bear that in mind. Also, you should give the ground a very good digging and dig in plenty of compost/manure - especially if your soil is clay. It prefers neutral to slightly acid soil.

Two per metre is a bit closer than I would plant them but it will make a denser hedge. Three per two metres is usually quite sufficient as they can happily grow, once established, at 12" per year (height and width). Someone locally followed my advice and they now, three years later, have a nice bushy hedge that is 4ft high. Don't buy large specimens in order to get them to be big quicker. They tend to take longer to establish properly.

Whilst establishing a little sprinkling of blood fish and bone will help. Most suppliers of blood fish and bone have retitled it fish blood and bone because they think that the word 'blood' being first may put some people off. :doh:

Don't prune after midsummer as the new tips may get frost burn during the winter.