1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

advice on seedlings pls

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by poohpouri, Apr 4, 2009.

1. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello everyone, I planted some seeds(stocks) in a propogater , and they are growing:yho:(1st timer) when do i plant them on to pots?:cnfs: or what should i be doing?
    Thanks
    Amo

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Prick out" into pots (I use 3" pots, but you could use seed trays, or "cells") when you can hold the seedlings. I don't know the size of Stocks' seedlings, but if the first two ("cotyledon") leaves are big enough to hold I would do them then, otherwise let the first true leaves form.

The Cotyledons are usually tougher than the true leaves, so holding the plant by those is usually safer.

Seedlings are prone to "damping off" in seed trays, so my policy is to prick them out as early as possible - but for very small seedlings this isn't possible. I've just lost all my Petunia seedlings because they have damped-off - but they are tiddly when they germinate ... :(

I use a pencil to "dig up" the seedlings - lift and loosen plenty around all the seedlings, then gently tease up each one trying not to break any roots. I tip some compost out of the bag into my "potting bench" and then rub it all through my hands which makes it looser, and breaks up any lumps.

I fill the 3" pots to the brim, but very loosely, then make a hole in the middle all the way down - stick pencil in, wiggle round-and-round to make a cone-shape hole. Holding seedling by one leaf between thumb-and-forefinger [of your dominant hand] lower into hole and push soil back with pencil in other hand. Then push down either side of seedling (index + middle finger of one hand, or index fingers of both hands) so that it is quite firm. This will also push the soil down quite a bit, and it will go down further when you water. You are aiming that the soil level is at the bottom of the "lip" around the pot - so that there is the 1/2", or so, depth of the pot above the soil which helps when watering - if its plumb-full all the water will just run off!

I bury my seedlings pretty much up to the Cotyledons. If they germinated without much light they will be "leggy", and this is a chance to correct that. Some plants don't like being buried, but I find that most will cope with being buried up the the Cotyledons (however, thereafter do NOT bury any deeper than the soil level of the pot - e.g. when you pot on into a bigger pot, or plant outside, as the stem above grown is not designed to work underground (unlike the material the roots are made from)

I water with a Haws (blinking expensive, but waters "like rain" exactly as it says on the tin!!) watering can - with the rose turned upwards - so the water comes out upwards, and then falls as rain. Alternatively water carefully into each pot so that the water puddles around the plant and then settles the compost - don't worry if the seedling keels over at a bit of an angle - trying to sort it out will probably do more harm that good. They are very small at this point so won't drink much - you probably won't have to water for 3 - 7 days. But, they will also be very fragile, so keeping the humidity up is important - spray with a mister a couple of times a day, or keep somewhere humid - covering with a propagator lid or somesuch would be good. Keep out of harsh sunlight for a couple of days too. And don't let them get perishingly cold at night.

Blimey, that makes it sound complicated! hopefully youget the jist!

3. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi poohpour your excitement is quite catching:hehe: You need to leave your little seedlings until they are big enough to handle and then put them into individual pots. Little ones. Let them grow and develop then you need to harden them off before planting outside. That is put them outside during the day and bring them in at night for a few days. It lets them adjust to the weather as they have been molicoddled inside. Spread lots of newspaper when you are potting them up and keep an old towel near you to dry and wipe your hands. It's a messy business. When they are quite big in their pots give them a feed too. Oh abd add a litle sand to your potting compost so they drain better and don't become waterlogged. i hope you have a wonderful show. Stocks are lovely:luv:

4. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Kristen. We must have been typing at the same time :)

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Plant your stock neat the back door, where you'll get that wonderful fragrance. Beautiful flowers.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Sorry Kristen. We must have been typing at the same time"

No need to apologise, folk come here for advice, and I always think plenty of data is helpful. If its too much they can always ignore it, eh? I mean ... folk would never smoke if they believed all the data, eh? nor cross the road ... :)

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Plant your stock neat the back door, where you'll get that wonderful fragrance"

With a few Night Scented Stock too perhaps (they are nothing to look at though).

I'm going to plant some at the back of the roses around the terrace where we sit out ... won't notice them there as the Roses will be "show-y" but if my tipsy guests refer to my aftershave on late bamey Summer evenings this year I'll report back!

8. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
  9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Being a reckless sort I would plant outside as soon as they are big enough to handle-but that's just me. I would probably choose to direct sow around mid april next year.