1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Strawberries (Newbie)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brubaker, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Brubaker

Brubaker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    So last season I planted some June Strawberries so I could teach the kids that they don’t come out of plastic packaging:) they grew well and I got quite a few in June 2017.

I didn’t cut the runners back and now we have quite a few plants. My question is you can see from the photos ‘old’ leaves and the few tiny sprouts. Rightly or wrongly I’ve been pruning off the old leaves in favour of the new sprouts. Should I be doing this.

They have been given some potash and manure about 6 weeks ago.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Peter

Attached Files:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

They'll be fine, some folk leave the old leaves on to give the plants a bit of frost protection but at this time of year we only usually get radiation frosts so fleece should keep it off the blossoms if one threatens :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Brubaker

Brubaker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks Zigs, is the new growth going to be the strawberry plants this year?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Yep, mine have just started flowering :)