1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Sunflowers please?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mhnewman83, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Mhnewman83

Mhnewman83 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, new member I've just joined in order to post this question.
    Relatively new to gardening in general, particularly flowers. I'm trying to encourage my 4 children to take an active interest in all things nature, and one of the many things we've done is to grow a sunflower each. 1 of the 6 didn't make (but my eldest learnt a lesson!), 1 is struggling and a bit small, but 4 of them are 6ft plus! However, the last few days they have started to wilt. They are planted in an old tin bathtub with holes drilled in the bottom. I water them on days when it hasn't rained, and I don't think excessively. I've loosely tied them to bamboo sticks, but other than that they've been left to their own devices.

My kids would be disappointed and disheartened (as would I!) if they didn't flower, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't see any signs of disease, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. It's difficult to check the roots, but the soil level feels firm. The leaves towards the bottom almost feel 'crispy', and brittle. I can't decide if I'm over watering or under watering them!

Thank you all in advance. 20150811_161959.jpg 20150811_162006.jpg 20150811_162015.jpg 20150811_162024.jpg 20150811_162033.jpg 20150811_161959.jpg 20150811_162006.jpg 20150811_162015.jpg 20150811_162024.jpg 20150811_162033.jpg

Martyn.

2. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    In summer plants in a container need watering at least once a day....twice if it's a hot day. I think they're gasping for a drink! Give them a good soak and see what happens. Welcome to GC by the way!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Martyn,

:sign0016:

Welcome to Gardeners Corner

I'd say they needed a good soak.
      Even on the days that it rains it probably wouldn't be enough to wet more than the top 1/2 " of soil/compost. You'd be surprised how much water is lost just through evaporation.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,488
        Welcome to GC. :blue thumb:

I go with the others. Definitely looks like lack of water. The good thing is that they should recover pretty quickly if you give them a good soaking as they don't look as though they've gone too far.

I'd be inclined to put four watering cans full into that bath (assuming that the drainage holes are working). Then at least one can full every day in this weather. If it's really hot and sunny I'd put one full can in the morning and one in the evening. With drainage holes there shouldn't be any danger of overwatering but there's a danger of them dying of lack of water if you don't give them enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,090
          They look better than mine if a little bit overcrowded maybe.?

Plenty water,a bit of tomato feed and make sure theres enough drainage holes in that container.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,605
            Welcome to Gardeners Corner. With the amount in the tub I suspect they have sapped it of nutrients so feeding is probably a good idea and of course you need to keep watering as other members have said. :)

• Agree Agree x 1