1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on supporting a top-heavy young apple tree

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Antony Lee, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Antony Lee

Antony Lee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I’m new to the forum, so firstly a big hello to everyone, and I hope that I can tap into the accumulated wisdom here.

I have a fairly young apple tree, planted last year, but which I intend to train against a fence. However, we are in Scotland and the winds can get pretty fierce at times, especially as they generally come into the garden from the side of the tree and can bash it around quite a bit. I’m therefore concerned about damage to the top of the tree - especially as, going from last year’s crop, it will produce a lot of fruit and become even more top-heavy in the coming months.

It is supported by a bamboo cane up to a certain point (see the photo) and I feel like tying it to the fence with some flexible material such as my wife’s tights is needed, but I’m concerned about actually causing it stress and breakage in this way.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to protect/support the tree?

Many thanks!

Antony

IMG_20200611_093755.jpg
    IMG_20200611_093805.jpg

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,198
    Hi and Welcome to the Forum,

Am no Apple expert, but have suffered from a similar sized one being snapped off half way down by the wind when it had a good few fruits on it.

Perhaps not in your design idea, but due to the winds and your fence height its much better if you grow them at a 45deg angle, as that means you will get more fruit and stay below the top of the fence and worst of the wind, yours still look young enough to be carefully trained over at that angle.

For now, buy some proper fruit tree ties that are adjustable and then use some screw in vine eyes on to the fence post.

When growing at an angle, use the vine eyes on two posts with some strong wire between
    them.

000321.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Antony Lee

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi Ricky,

Thank you so much for your reply! Some eyes in the fence and the fruit ties do sound like the best idea - in my ignorance I didn't realise that you could get proper ties designed for fruit trees so they should combine the strength and flexibility needed to support it.

The diagonal growing tip is also a really interesting one and we'll definitely bear it in mind as the tree grows against the fence.

Many thanks again!

Antony

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,198
        You are welcome.

Fruit tree do look easy, but also can be daunting when coming to the important pruning.

This series of short videos might help, be they vertical or at 45 deg.

• Like Like x 1
        • Antony Lee

Ratings:
          +1
          Hi Ricky,

That's superb - many thanks again! We'll have a champion crop in no time :smile: