Advice on tidying up geraniums and this other fella

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CharlesAC, Jun 13, 2020.

1. CharlesAC

CharlesAC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello all,

Hope you are well and keeping safe.

I am looking for advice on how to keep these two tidy;

1 - Graniums (oxonianum ?) - first picture. They grow super healthy in the spring, then these nice, pink flowers follow. Then everything gets a bit messy, they grow too tall, start to lean to the sides. I tried to cut some of them down, but then they look even more horrible with cut stalks (right side of the picture). What is your recommendation to keep these tidy ?

2 - I don't know the name of these ones, but again, they grow happily and vigorously in the spring, early summer. Nice flowers, followed by an untidy look. Please let me know what they are called and how can I tidy them up.

Many thanks

Charles

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,318
      Hi
      i will do the easy question
      1 - Graniums soon as they stop flowering get a pair of shears and cut right back to the ground leave about a inch or two have a good tidy up around the plant add a top dresssing of new compost then feed with a soluble feed every week and within 4 weeks you will have new fresh growth and should re flower late summer into Autumn but the secret is feeding and watering during the summer every week .... tomato food is ideal ...

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,232
        The second one looks like salvia Hot Lips. Not grown them, so will wait for the experts to come along

• Like Like x 2
        • CharlesAC

CharlesAC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +5
          They are indeed, thanks for the identification.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +45,645
          Best to tidy Salvia Hot Lips early spring. You can cut them back anytime really, if you did it now you would lose flowers but it regrows very quickly, it is a bit of a thug.