1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

advice on Zinnias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bristolpotman, May 11, 2008.

1. bristolpotman

bristolpotman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've grown Zinnias for the first time this year, Do I need to pinch them out to make them bush, or will i wreck them totally if I do ? Urgent advice please!!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,534
    You know I've not grown zinnias in years.
    They were always a bit of a problem as they didn't like root disturbance I think.

Anyway, as far a pinching, I never did, they eventually form a terminal bud, and branch lower down, I think.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,365
    Pinching out Zinnias is optional, I have 2500 to prick out this week (at work) if they are growing too fast I will pinch out, if not I will leave them. I sowed them later this year so I think they will not need it, it is only necessary if they become leggy and need strengthening.

4. bristolpotman

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess mine will be fine as they are .Thanks for the help guys!

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience last year - slugs absolutely LOVE zinnias, so watch out!

6. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    i sown 10 seeds of Zinnia elegans Swizzle Cherry & Ivory and 8 germinated :0 !! First time growing these. Still abit on the small side though

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,365
    Mowgley, I put in 200 Swizzle Cherry & Ivory friday (at work) should have been 600 but the numbers went wrong somewhere:rolleyes:, they were up sunday, I will let you know how many germinated when I prick them out.
    They can grow quite fast particularly in warm weather. I got two others to do the 2500 Zesty Zinnias today as I had 1500 Petunias to do.
    there are still 3000 Dahlias, 1800 more Petunias, 2000 Nicotiana, 3000 Pyrethrum Golden Moss 3000 Herneraria Glabra, 1000 Alyssum 1000 more Marigolds and 2500 Alternanthera cuttings for a carpet bedding design to do yet and I thought the summer bedding growing season was near the end, - wrong. :D

8. bristolpotman

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what variety my plants are ,but I bought the seed from Lidl and as always with their seeds germination was excellent . I now have a few dozen strong plants so hopefully they will make a nice show later in the summer, By the way Claire I also grow Hostas so I know about slugs believe me!

9. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, yeah I guess you would - I haven't even bothered trying to grow them! I started a load of zinnia seeds last year and all but about three got killed by slugs eating the whole baby plant when I put them out. This year I will grow them in pots til they're big enough to stand up a bit better (hopefully) - the slimey little swines also got most of my dahlias and now I've forgotten where I put them so can't protect any that dare to make an attempt to regrow this year either. Just have to keep my fingers crossed!
    I grew zinnia envy, which is green, and one I think was just called pink but oddly enough turned out to be red. The one that managed to survive long enough to have a couple of flowers that is! They are really pretty flowers so I'm hoping for good results this year with the same varieties.

10. bristolpotman

Ratings:
    +0
    Claire. did you see Gardeners World from Malvern show last week. ? There was a lady whp hold thec National collection of hostas in pots who has come up with a wash made up from garlic bulbs boiled up which seems worthy of investigation.for slug control, I wiil need to watch again to get the details , but it might be worth a go!