1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice please on creating a new raised lawn over wetland with Giant Hogweed

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by yawningdog, May 16, 2010.

1. yawningdog

yawningdog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am buying a house that I will demolish & replace with a new one. In the garden, the existing lawn descends gently down to a nice stream/river. But, between the upper parts of the lawn and the stream is an area of 1,500 square meters that consists of soft wet ground. This entire area is covered with Giant Hogweed and some clumps of tall trees.

This area could look lovely if I could raise & clear the ground and extend the lawn from the house down to the stream.

This is what I am thinking about doing, but would be grateful for any comments or easier/cheaper suggestions...

1) Cut the stalks of the largest Hogweeds and lay flat. ( I am fully aware about how dangerous this stuff is).
    2) Lay 1,500 sqm of weed fabric over the entire area to keep out the Hogweed and restrict the rubble fill from sinking into the mud..
    3) Demolish the house and use the brick rubble to raise the lawn by about 40cm and incorporate a French Drain system to the stream.
    4) Lay another layer of weed fabric over the brick rubble.
    5) Lay down 30cm of top soil
    6) Seed for the lawn.
    Am I going over the top here? I need to create a drain'able surface but do I need so much fabric? I don't want to give the Hogweed a chance to come up. Will the top soil remain in place over the weed fabric or could it wash away?

Thanks, Guy.

New Forest, Hampshire, UK

2. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Wetlands are disappearing at a very fast rate and I would hope that you reconsider making it into a lawn.

Apart from the impracticallity by not looking at the reason why it is a wetland. You need to consider the effect on your neighbours and the natural environment and wildlife.

Better to make the wetland into a feature by digging out some cghunks, creating pools and encourage birds and wildlife.

Sorry, but I just hate your proposal

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: You know has been you beat me to it.. I have looked at this thread many times now & the conclusion I came to was to make more of what he has..

As you say natural habitats are disappearing... I say make more of what you have mate..
    The newly constructed bog provides unique planting opportunities and with a little bit of imagination, well selected bog plants can be used to create the illusion of a seamless transition from pond to garden. In your case stream/river – especially in time when foliage covers the narrow strip left between the two. In addition, the bog’s moist conditions are perfect for damp-loving wildlife – especially amphibians – the foliage offering ideal places for them to hide. Although for bog plants the flowering season is often quite short-lived, they more than make up for it with the spectacular leaves which come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colours, adding a new dimension to the water feature. Also, because their roots are in soil – albeit damp – they tend to warm up sooner than their marginal cousins, often providing their splash of colour a little earlier in the year and extending the time that the pond area puts on a show.
    At first sight, the term “bog garden” may seem a little off-putting – conjuring up images of some muddy swamp, alive with mosquitoes – but the reality could hardly be more different.
    It has sometimes been said that no garden is too small for a pond; by the same token, perhaps no pond should be without its bog garden – an ideal spot to grow those slightly unusual plants which like their feet nicely soggy, but have no desire to be drowned....
    So get rid of the hog weed carefully & set about making something amazing with what you have already there... A lawn is great yes, but think what you could create...!!!! :wink:

4. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have any pictures please?

5. yawningdog

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for your replies.

Perhaps I may be wrong in describing the land, the land is not completely "wetland", it has areas where you can walk no problem, but also areas where you need wellies. When I last walked on it about 2 weeks ago, the wettest part would sink to just below my calves. But its definitely not right for a lawn at present.

I have included some photos and a land map in PDF format. The map shows where the presently suitable lawn ends, and the questionable land begins. The main area of boggy concern seem to be caused by a secondary natural drainage channel that prevents comfortable access to the river/stream.

My initial thoughts were to create a French Drain to allow the drainage channel to still operate, but cover over and firm up the bog to make it more pleasant to be around.

My other ideas were to:

- Firm up a limited path access to the stream and then convert the bog into a duck pond type thingy. But this would require some form of water pump or water input to keep the pond fresh and full as it's higher than the stream.

- Or, create some board-walks down to the firmer land by the stream's edge.

But I am very concerned about the Hogweed and would rather dynamically remove it by covering it over rather than an endless battle that my not be winnable, especially considering the dominance of the plant in the surrounding area. This stuff is dangerous and I don't want any kids (or anyone for that matter) near it. In a few months it will be 15-20ft high!

As you may be able to see from the pictures, the Hogweed has prevented any other growth in the area, and the stream banks are completely vulnerable to erosion, indicated by the bare earth bank.

http://www.yawningdog.co.uk/Misc/Ground%20conditions%20map.pdf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    What a wonderful area, I'm jealous! Forget extending the lawn, there are all manner of damp, shade loving plants that would look just fab there. Gunnera, Arum lillies, Iris, Ligularia, Rogersia, Lysimachia, Primula, Bog Arum, Reeds and Rushes to name but a few. What you need is a good garden designer to make a planting plan for you! Hint hint!:thmb:

Chris

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Go with what Chris suggests! A lawn is boring and needs constant attention.

8. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd cut Mother Therasa's throat with a wood saw for that. Forget the lawn.

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Oh Wow....!!! Yes I still say forget the lawn even more so now after looking at your pics mate... :gnthb: Like Chris says you can have such beautiful plants & an area to die for when it was done I think...
    :flag: Put your lawn somewhere else as it would be sacrilage to destroy that area..!! If you are demolishing the house then incorporate your lawn in another area.. :dh: Please...!!!?:D

10. orangepeel

orangepeel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    looks amazing but i think your right to get rid of the hogweed but by all accounts nothing but walking on it constantly keeps it at bay but ive found a site that says to use weed killer so take a look at this paragraph i copied and decide for yourself mate. but i have been told that the dye bricklayers use in there cement is ideal for killing them so maybe you could look into that too. good luck
    Step 1
    Dispose the plant properly because it's considered a public and hazardous waste plant. Contact your state's Department of Environmental Conservation for proper procedure.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep2 itxtvisited="1">Step 2
    Wear gloves (disposable if possible), goggles, hat, ski mask or other facial covering, long shirt and pants when removing any part of the Giant Hogweed.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep3 itxtvisited="1">Step 3
    Cut the flower heads with a knife when they appear between May and June and before they turn to seed. The plant's seeds self sow and one flower produces several thousand seeds.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep4 itxtvisited="1">Step 4
    Handle a seeded flower head with care while cutting. Place a large open paper bag underneath the seeds to catch any that fall.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep5 itxtvisited="1">Step 5
    Sever the stalk near the ground carefully in early evening. The roots are hardy and difficult to dig up in larger plants, use a garden shovel to try after removing the stalk.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep6 itxtvisited="1">Step 6
    Buy the herbicide glyphosate produced under the brand names Roundup, Rodeo and Pondmaster and read the directions before applying. This effective control for the weed kills any other plants it contacts in the area.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep7 itxtvisited="1">Step 7
    Launder clothing after removing a stalk or flower head.

11. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    If you decide to go for a bog garden instead of a lawn, :yez: :yez: then you could be featured on a future edition of "The Landscape Man" on Channel 4. :gnthb: :gnthb:

Touch Down or Round Up will get rid of the Hog Weed. You'd need to buy concentrate in a 25 litre container from a farm store as garden centres would rob you for the amount you need. Note also that the generic brands of glyphospate are ½ the price of Round Up.

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: Hey Kindred the channel 4 offer sounds good.. :yho: Come on yawningdog how about it..??
    You could team up with Chris our Boghopper who has won silver guillt at Chelsea in the past, but is a very sensitive landscaper & a really nice honest guy.. :wink: I know.... :gnthb:
    Wow.. That & channel 4... OMG you could be famous....!! :idea: What do you reckon then... Keep a bit of wetlands or bog however you want to term it & who knows what it could bring you... !! :yho:.. How about it then..???? Cmon yawningdog........................... :wink:

13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,975
    I wasn't aware that you could do just as you like in the New Forest, I thought there would be some kind of regulation?

The house looks sort of not bad to me:skp:
    Does it need knocking down?

14. yawningdog

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments. I admire your passion, and get the message about lawns, seems like they are not too popular, in this case at least.

I'm afraid that I'm a developer, and this project is a development. However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to create something that is admirable, it just restricts me on price fairly significantly.

Trust me, the existing house is horrible, unless of course you are into urine stinky, dilapidated 1970's mock Tudor houses. In that case, then perhaps I could interest you in a viewing!

With regards to landscaping in the New Forest, the property is not in an SSSI, and so does not have that kind of restriction. However, there may be a concern over the removal of floodable land if the ground levels are raised, but it looks like I shouldn't do that based upon your suggestions.

Thank you Chris/Boghopper for you comments. I'm not confident that I could afford you with your impressive track record, although I shall consider all options as we progress through the preparation stages.

The TV idea seems like fun but even if it were possible, I'm not sure whether that kind of publicity is helpful if the ultimate aim is to sell the property, quite risky. Although, having worked in TV myself for several years, I can see a possible story here..."Stressed out developer tries to manage budget overrun new-build as top Chelsea gardener tackles man-eating plants in swampland, costs escalate, house falls down etc"...probably enough jeopardy to qualify.

15. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    What's his name from Grand Designs would probably love you then. You know, the architect who pours doubt and depression over every project that is featured on the programme, almost as if he wants to say 'told you so'. And he's usually proved wrong!

The house does look like rather nasty mock tudor.