Advice please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    20180915_122727.jpg

My vaccinium vitis ideaa fireballs took a hammering during the summer. Is it likely to survive? If not, I need a similar plant to replace it. It needs to be a plant that thrives in ericaceous soil. The pot also has several layers of tulip bulbs so I am keen not to cause too much disruption. Would Nandina Domestica grow there? The RHS website says any acid soil is ok. Next year I might think about bigger displays in bigger pots.

G.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    It needs some shade at least so, yes, the summer would have hammered it. It should look better by spring so give it a chance. Not just an acid soil but the aspect too needs to be considered. Maybe use additional pots to create a display there instead of a single large one??:noidea:

Nandina varieties are best grown in the garden.....not ideal for a container I think. Other options? Azaleas, rhodos, kalmias, pieris etc., but one of the best plants for a container ...neutral to acid soil.....is a camellia. They look good all year round, produce lots of flowers in spring, can be pruned to shape or size without risk to flowering, and have relatively small root systems despite growing to medium or large size:)

3. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    Pieris was something I thought about. I didn't see one in the garden centre I went to today. If I had I probably would have picked one up.

Different size pots is something I have started doing. At the moment the pots on the summer house steps are all the same size (and cheap). Once my wages start building up I can look into buying some nicer pots.

Camelias etc are something I am interested in. Maybe next spring, if I manage to get any of the groundworking completed, I will have a nice pot and a suitable place to stand it.

G.

• Like Like x 1