1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice re evergreen Daphne please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, May 6, 2013.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Wondering if anybody has experience of either moving or fairly drastically pruning a Daphne Odora Aureomargineta. I have 1 which is about 25 years old. It isn't the best of shapes and is in a bed which I am battling with as it is riddled with my pet hate Spanish Bluebells.The only way to totally get rid of the bluebells is to dig up the whole bed and go through the soil with the proverbial fine toothed comb. I have a fair idea if I leave the Daphne in situ some b....y bluebells will be skulking near it and before you can take a breath the whole bed will be inundated again. Ideally I'd like to move the Daphne and prune it to improve it's shape and give it the best chance to move successfully. Anything I've ever read about Daphnes has said they don't like moving and don't respond well to pruning so am I wasting my time? It's flowering atm and the scent is lovely so would be sad to loose it.

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    Its a hard call Silu and the risk of losing a 25 year old friend would be too great for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,771
      Don;t even think of it! They hate either pruning or moving so either move things around the plant or live with where it is.
      They should be OK with a very light trim but that's about it.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Hmm Andy thought as much, damn it! Will have to decide if I really want to keep it as is or say goodbye to it.Of course it's doing it's best to be in my good books atm. flowering it's head off and sending wafts of delicious perfume in my direction as I battle to rid the bed on 1000 of Spanish Bluebells. Being really quite a hot day today the perfume was even more intense, certainly this Daphne is putting a good case forward for staying put!

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,332
        Would it be possible to cover the Daphne and glyphosate the bluebells?

• Like Like x 1
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,771
          You should definitely keep it if you can! If you paint weedkiller on the bluebells then you'll be pretty accurate with the targeting. You can do the bunch nearest the daphne and just dig up the rest.

• Like Like x 1
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Thanks Noisette and Loofah. Certainly I can get most of the offending bulbs. The snag is that from bitter experience I know that there will be some bulbs lurking as back ups which aren't in leaf, so happily would avoid any weed killers. Many a time I've thought i've got the lot, only to be festooned with bulbs again the following season.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,139
            Why not put weed suppressant material underneath the Daphne, or old bits of carpet or even thick cardboard to smother the offending spanish bluebells. You'd need to keep them on for a year or two but that would save your lovely Daphne. If you don't like the way it looks cover the old carpet (or what have you) with mulch or bark chippings.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,332
            I've got the same problem with moroccan mint growing through my Daphne cneorum. I just yank it out as soon as it shows...it'll give up before I do!