Advice Wanted on a Good Variety of Ceanothus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fortesque, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Fortesque

Fortesque Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can give me some advice on a good variety of Ceanothus. I have looked at the garden centres and most seem to be straggly without a profusion of flowers. Ideally I am looking at the following attibutes.

Hardy.
    Size doesn't matter but I don't want a dwarf variety.
    Neat bush type shape that also looks OK when not in flower.
    Evergreen
    Producing a profusion of brightly coloured
    flowers.

It will be planted against a reasonably sheltered west facing fence that receives [plenty of summer sunshine in the mornings. I live in a costal location in the north.

Hope someone can help.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  3. Fortesque

Fortesque Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else. I stil have not ffound which variety would be a good one.

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Fortesque,a good smelly one with dark blue flowers is "Conche"

5. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I love ceanothus, at present I have a Yankee Point which I put in this year but it hasn't flowered yet, it is growing into a nice healthy plant so I am hopeful for next year. At the last house I had an 'Italian skies' which was beautiful with bright blue flowers in late spring unfortunately it didn't like being moved and died. There is a tall one called 'pin cushion' which looks good or 'Gloire de Versailles'. I used to have the thyrsiflorus repens which is pretty prostrate but has lots of flowers giving a good show. Hope this helps.

6. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with kandyfloss, Concha is an excellent variety, dark leaf, rich flower, lovely reddish buds, and a tidy habit. In my gardens it gets to about twelve feet. Remember not to prune them more than necessary, or fiddle too much. They like being left alone. Rather like some other excellent plant cultivars I fear it might be a victim of its own success and have become unfashionable, at least I have had trouble getting it these last couple of years. There was an article about ceanothus a couple of years ago in the Garden mag. Maybe someone can remember when?

7. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Fortesque hope this can help you.Gloire de Vaersailles I bought as a cutting 3 yrs ago at an Open Garden Scotland day.

She is beautiful 1st year in bloom.
    Mine is against a fence and in full sun all day.

And has now delighted us growing a bit like a standard the head on her is a mass of blue flowers.

How do I post a photo of 'Gloire de Versailles'to let you see her growing in my garden.

8. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't wish to diss Scotkat's choice but with regard to Fortesque's original list of wishes I find Gloire de Versailles to be rather open and lax in habit, rather than a neat bush shape, though it certainly isn't small.

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  10. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    [​IMG]

She has been blowing in the wind today really needs a new stake.At least this gives you an idea of Gloire de Versailles.

[​IMG]