1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Zangoose, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Zangoose

Zangoose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

New to the whole gardening situation - At the end of March 2022 we decided to do something with the garden and plant some plants and go from there really. The previous owners didn't do much with the garden apart from a tomato plant and some mint.

Anyway, we planted a few Saxifragas, An Aubrieta and a Spiraea x arguta - They were doing great but in the most past week or two they been looking worse for wear. I have attached a couple of photos below.

I suppose the questions would be

1. What would cause this?
    2. Is there anything we can do to help or is the situation just leave them to it and try again?

Location is North West (England) so the weather has been fairly mixed over the past month or so where we've had quite a bit of rain and currently the past few weeks it's been fairly decent in terms of sunshine etc.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,846
    Welcome Italics.jpeg Zangoose.

I really can't be of much help to you but everything looks dry to me. What are the holes in the cemtre of the first three plants?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Zangoose

Zangoose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      They have been opening up more and more - Then directly in the middle the "brown" stuff seem to be dead parts of the plant that appear to be easily removable. The area hasn't been watered today yet and today's weather has been no rain. A photo of below of one of the plants on how it looked when we first got it - Then after some growing the stems have gone droopy towards the soil and the middle part has opened up more and more.

[​IMG]

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,846
      It's a lovely little plant but something I don't/can't grow here but I am still thinking lack of water. When you first plant things it is best they don't dry out completely, even if it means watering daily in the beginning. The soil looks good. The UK has been warmer than where I am (Algarve) recently.

I am sure someone will come along shortly and give a better response (they are probably still in the garden or having tea/dinner).

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,749
      No idea on the saxifrages but as above, do make sure everything is watered. If the mint is in the ground by the way, get it out asap as it will spread and take over everything.

Welcome to the forum

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,893
        Looks like a watering problem to me also.
        Recently planted and the rootballs have been allowed to dry out.

You need to water every couple or days or so in dry sunny weather, the rootballs could be difficult to rewet now.

• Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,780
        I agree that you have to keep plants watered after planting out until the fine roots developed. Transplanting them can damage these.
        It is normal. in my experience, for newly planted out plants to take a bit of a setback before recovering. Make sure they are well watered, especially the Spirea, not just a splash on the leaves but a good soak around the roots

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,177
        Welcome to the forum.

Something suggests to me that they may have come from a cosy glass hour and not been hardened off first. These chilly winds and cool nights aren't easy for newly planteds.
        With water and a bit of encouraging chat , they will get through it,
        Jenny namaste