Advise needed for my ponds...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by blacktulip, May 19, 2017.

1. blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
    +228
    So I have two small ponds in the back garden:

[​IMG]

I really do not want to install power sockets, which means no filters/pumps etc. Is it possible to keep these two small ponds clean and enjoyable?

I asked a local nursery and they said I can throw in a lot of oxygenator plants. Then add a few fish to keep mosquito larvas in check. Is it that simple? Has anyone tried to keep a filterless small pond with success?

And advices will be appreciated.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,925
    It will be difficult.
    They appear quite shallow so the water will warm up quickly ,specially if there is lots
    of sun.
    Try to keep some area shaded if possible,water lilies are good because they have large leaves and shade and look good.
    It's a good idea to put a pack of barley straw in ,it definitely helps to keep the water clear as well as oxygenating plants.
    There are many products on the market that may help ,but try without them if possible
    Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Fill them up with more water, plant some plants in pots along the ledges ......the overall depth looks too shallow IMO. Hope it doesn't freeze in winter. Why didn't you make one bigger deeper pond instead of two? Maybe you could join them up. The ledges looks like they were intended to plant marginal plants but I would fill it to the brim or nearly to the brim before planting. What is your overall aim with these two ponds?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        Whatever else you do, please don`t subject fish to these ponds until you`re sure they are sound - stick to plants.
        This is what I did with my small pool of water.
        DSC00008.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1