1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Agapanthus care

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Robajobs, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
    Ratings:
    +489
    I've grown a single plant from seed. It's two years old now and seems happy enough in the greenhouse overwinter. A couple of questions: Considering I only know it's an African blue Lily is it better to leave in a pot or plant outside in the spring? And am I likely to get flowers this year?
    Cheers.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    There's a risk that it might not be very hardy ... but I think it will be happier planted out. The ones I have grown from seed flowered in their second year, but the do generally take a while to settle in and "mature" before flowering.

Some say that pot-bound in a pot encourages them to flower sooner ... personally I want a thumping great big clump outside rather than a clump limited by pot size.

• Like Like x 1
    • Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
      Ratings:
      +489
      Cheers, Kristen. I remember now it's called Africanus Blue which is frost tolrant to -7 but won't stand prolanged frosts so me thinks it will be homed in a bit clay pot! I remember I got the seeds from Seedaholic in Ireland.

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,409
      I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you could plant out and give it some protection in the Winter with fleece or dead bracken.

I have had A Headbourne Hybrids flower in their first year but that is not the norm, I planted them outside last spring (2nd year) but didn't flower, possibly not liking the root freedom. Whether they flower this year I'll have to wait and see.
      The only two I give protection to are Enigma and Luli.

• Agree Agree x 1