1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Agastaches

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Verdun, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Ive grown new agastaches this year...black adder, sangria,and some others. Brilliant plants but anyone with advice about growing them and whether they are invasive or not? Anyone tried new plants of any kind this year?

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Won't some of them peg it in the frost?

3. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    In Cornwall here they prob will be ok. I will treat them as tender perennials, is. Dig the up and overwinter in the greenhouse. They are worth the effort Madahhlia

4. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    Depends where in Cornwall, if you're on Bodmin moor they probably wont make it. Here down the road in Ness Botanical Gardens, they have some perennial Agastache plants that come back every year (they are Herbaceous). I decided to buy some of my own as i was so impressed. They like hot sun and on the dry side.

5. stephenprudence

Ratings:
    +2,368
    Not the best photo, but Agastache with Calceolaria integrifolia in the background.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Hi stephenpruden, thanks for photo. What varieties did you get? I've grown one variety for couple of years but bought few this year and been impressed. Not really knowing them, how they behave, I will be watching for signs of being invasive. What's your view on this ?

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
      +2,368
      I got Agastache aurantiaca, but they where seeds, which mixed colours of peach, pink and blues. They are really striking. I don't think they are invasive, but they do have a spreading rootstock. They are native to semi desert areas, but don't see a huge amount of cold.. these are hardy to about -12C I would have thought.

I think they will definitely behave.

The ones pictures above in the botanic gardens certainly spread a little, but I don't know whether that's because they were planted like that or whether they spread into that space.