Agaves

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by garden_fiend, Sep 17, 2009.

1. garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have 2 large agaves, one green and one variegated. They are getting rather large to drag in to the greenhouse now (my husband threatens to put a spade through them every year as he hates them, and really hates having to help me move them). I absolutely love them and would like to construct some type of shelter for them in the garden. Any suggestions? Would it be enough to protect them?
    Or should I try and convince him that they're worth dragging in to the greenhouse yet again, even though they spike him every year. He!He! There is a wooden fence that it could be built against which stops any north winds. I really don't want to lose them, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. GF.

2. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    To offer any advice it really depends which Agaves you have.

The most common available in garden centres and so on is Agave Americana which is quite a hardy plant if kept dry. I have 2 large A. americana (one plain and one variegated) which are given shelters over the winter.

If this is what they are then a simple constuction over the top - I use clear corrugated plastic on a wooden frame will keep the rain and snow off. Then maybe have fleece sides to keep anything from blowing in.

Dont wrap them in bubblewrap as they will just rot.

If they are a differnt Agave the above advice may still be applicable but most others are much more tender so are more likely to need something more.

A photo may help.

Gaz

3. garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Gaz,
    They are Agave americana (one plain and one variegated) so I will give it a try.
    Thanks for the advice.

GF.