1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aglaonema Silver Spear

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ricky101, Nov 27, 2021.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Saw a picture of one of the above plants in a magazine, suggesting they were good for north facing aspects and would be ideal plants for use with our Streptocarpus etc.

While there are quiet a few Aglaonemas on sale on the web, for quiet a high price ! not seen any called Silver Spear, though similar plants called Silver Queen , Silver Bay.

Has anyone grown these plants and can say if they are easy to grow and look after and know of any good supplier, not seen any in a couple of garden centers, though only looking for a small plant.

000916.jpg

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,417
    I have not grown Aglaonemas although I am familiar with them. They need reasonable warmth and medium light similar to Calatheas, so a North facing aspect maybe ok. Our local Dobbies had a good number of them the last time I was there although I don't remember if there were any Silver leaved ones as there are so many new coloured hybrids now.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      @strongylodon - thanks , did not see any in a couple of smaller local garden centers and did try going into a large one but even on a weekday afternoon it was rammed full so we just turned around and left as it just looked too risky for us, will have to wait until the new year when things should be quieter and hopefully safer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1