1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Alice Herz-Sommer,

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Feb 24, 2014.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,876
    Alice Herz-Sommer, was one of the few people that I always looked up to she died yesterday and was 110 the longest surviving survivor from the Holocaust,rest in peace Alice you were a very unique and special person my friend.

Her Book
    A Century of Wisdom:

[​IMG]espite all she suffered and witnessed, Alice Herz-Sommer harboured no bitterness, which she believed only ate away at the hater.

Alice said, ‘only when we are old, do we realise the beauty of life – life is a present’.

A statement from the author:

Alice’s will to live was invincible. Regardless of her 110 years Alice’s death came too soon. Although her daily existence – living alone with her piano and a few mementos in a tiny cocoon-like apartment – was limited, Alice revered life itself and mused on its mystery and majesty. Alice did not waste time longing for what she did not have, rather she was grateful to take the good she found in the here and now.

Alice had no interest in materialism – things or awards. My feelings can only be expressed in music – the “Urlicht” from Mahler’s Second Symphony Alice loved so much. Alice was my mentor, muse and honorary President of the Mozart Academy. I founded …

Alice lived a profoundly spiritual life. Music was her language. She often said “I have lived my life in music. I will die in music.”

A witness to all of the wars of the 20th and 21st centuries and a survivor of Hitler’s unspeakable evil, Alice lived her life in a genuine state of forgiveness. “I hate no one. Hatred only brings more hatred”, she said. Alice practised a forgiveness that sanctions the forgiver to let go of implacable feelings and, rather than seek revenge, to make the most of one’s days on earth.

Alice’s life of transcendent humanity is her immortal legacy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      I too read of her death, but shamefully did not know who she was.. I was so impressed with her as a person by the time I finished the article I can totally understand why you found her such an awe inspiring person.. :SUNsmile: What a lady..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,876
        Thank you Marley my friend ,I have read her books and watched the documentary on BBC 2 a few weeks back,she wasn't a pop star,film star or what is known as a Celebrity , she was just
        Alice Sommer:)

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        A very special person it seems Woo... The world will be the poorer for her departure..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,067
          A very brave and special lady.