1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Allium bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Poppy33, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me? I have just bought some reduced Allium and minature Daffodils, on the packets it says autumn planting, shoiuld I plant them now in the hope they will flower next year or store the bulbs till this autumn and then plant. Many thanks Poppy33

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I've certainly bunged in some allium bulbs I got recently - they're unlikely to come to any harm, as they are perennials. Just make sure you put them in pretty deep - they'll cope! As a rule of thumb, put bulbs in at a depth 3 x their size, so a 1 cm tall bulb would go in with 3cm of soil above it. Somw bulbs are ok with less soil, but have a look on the packet to see if any other advice is given.

3. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    re: you miniature daffs, if they have started to sprout then put them into pots so you can control the amount of water they get, just keep them damp. if sprouting has not started, put them out in the ground where you want them, mark with a small cane, if they appear this year they will only be leaves, but you never can tell, they should be fine next year.
    the reason they are planted in autumn is so that the roots can get going first during the winter to provide the strength to flower.