1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

allotments

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by mikfof, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mikfof

mikfof Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we have just taken on our first allotment. It is completely overgrown with grass, otherwise completely flat. My question is what is the best way to prepare for planting. Dig out the grass or rotovate? Any other advise most welcome.

2. tinkerbell

tinkerbell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rotovate now and let the winter break it up then the hard work will start next spring.....Good luck [​IMG]

3. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mikfof,
    I have also just got my first double allotment, not as lucky as you are, mine are on a slope with several old trees including a 60ft conifer... :eek: its not been worked on for many, many years, still they are hard to find in my local area so I couldn`t turn it down.
    not to be put off, I can see beyond the jungle, if I do the planning and digging now it should be ready to play with in the spring.
    already cut down the 6ft bambles, given the apple tree a hard prune, started to rotovate an area, shed in place.
    plan to make willow and grass tree seats, timber made raised beds for veg and cutting garden :D
    row of compost bins made out of old pallets.
    maybe a greenhouse if one is going free in the papers.....its exciting
    let me know your plans

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    You lucky souls, Hard work to start with, but when you start producing your own fresh fruit and veg all worthwile. quite often older established allotment holders like to be asked for advice and enjoy helping. discussions often held on rainy days in the shed/ tea room. goodluck.