Aloa Vera

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DAG, May 19, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Aloe Vera

I think this is a fantastic plant, alright not that glamorous but so useful! ;)

I bought one plant last summer and it has served us, the children and the grandchildren very well.

Every kind of skin condition, from burns, rashes, itches, spots, grazes you name it....built in natures disinfectant, self sealing and easy to use.

My daughters dog had an operation recently and when the stitches were taken out it was very sore, and guess what the vet recommended.....and the dog likes the taste! No worry about chemicals! ;)

Surely this is a much under-rated plant?

Just my 2 pennyworth!

P.S. Definitely going to try propagating this plant but not sure how...anybody?

2. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Offshoots from an established plant can easily be potted on. [​IMG] Problem can be leaving one to get establised.
    We destroyed a couple this winter by continually picking bits off. :rolleyes:
    Very usefull plant, I'd recommend every household has a few on the go.

3. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    A fellow member cozmik has some baby ones on offer for free in the For Sale section.

She sent me one and it looks really healthy.

My question is how do you use it? eg. do you cut off a piece in order to get at the substance? :confused:

4. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just cut the whole branch off, my wife wraps it in cling film and then just cuts about an inch off at a time, slit up the length, open it out and use this piece to rub the liquid on..easy! It more or less self seals so is reasonably convenient and cutting anywhere on the plant seems to do no harm as it seals itself up fairly quickly. I think this is why it is so good for burns?

5. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    its easy to grow cuttings from this plant..i was really brutal with mine.. i took it all out of the pot..split it into 8 and gave it away to people ..and the one i kept has thrown lots of shoots up again allready..it can get huge and out of control..the lady who gave me mine in the first place was sick of hers as it was bursting the pot..as it was so lively...

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I keep one on my kitchen window sill - now have to say I put it out for some fresh air and sun last summer and it hated it, I really had to bring it back from the dead! Mine is a common type, not like the big ones you see in garden centres and it just grows like weed.

7. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine did quite well in the greenhouse thro' the autumn/winter, but as soon as I moved it to the kitchen window sill (east facing) it has really taken off!

Although they don't like the cold, I suppose they are happier where the temperature is more steady?

wildflower:
    Thanks for that, mine needs a bigger pot now, and I will try to divide mine up as well.

Have you tried making anything out of the juice? ;)

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mine is in the living room facing west..i wouldnt worry about dividing it up as soon as you take it out the pot it virtually falls apart..i have used the juice on the dog he cut his back open over the field someone left tins or bottles under a hedge and he cut his back..and i used the gel from it..I am not very well up on aloe vera and mine was given to me and i think it may be the weed type like wacos..some of the leaves get big and others are slender...it certainly grows like a weed..

9. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My plant is only 12 inches now after nearly a year, but generating faster than I can use it. How large can they get.....weeds/leaves?....this is a cactus plant surely? ;)

10. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not really into the herbal medicine thing, but aloe vera actually does what it says on the tin. All kitchens should have one.

The flowers, like most aloes are not that spectacular.

11. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one Rich, and thanks everybody for your positive input, and wildflower I will give that a try.

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    was very interested what all members have to say about the aloe vera plant i am going to head out to the garden centre and get myself one, i use aloe vera creams from the avon and love it use it every day on my face had loads of comments saying how my skin looks so good told them to get aloe vera cream
    rosa

13. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Have been very interested in thread about Aloe Vera it sounds so wonderful and useful so decided I must have a plant.
    Went to local nursery and bought one for just �£2.65. It is about 20" tall and has 6 little ones growing round the base - not bad for that price?

In Wyevales they had one not as big and no extras round the base - �£12.00 !
    (not that I would have bought anything from a company that shoots robins - I was just looking at their prices).
    [​IMG]

14. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    SHOOTS ROBINS!!!

I will set Mrs DAG on them! Tell me more? ;)

15. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    They have been taken over recently, so maybe new managers will be bettter! [​IMG]