1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

aloe vera

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by miraflores, Sep 12, 2012.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    so pleased with my two aloe plants that I got from my aunt about one year ago.
    I am hardly the perfect house plants keeper these days, but these two plants withstood quite prolonged periods without water and actually I don't think they thrive in direct sun (but I may well be wrong there).
    Any experience?

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Could you post some pictures :blue thumb: , it would be nice to see what variety are they.

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,841
    I have about six Mira, originally brought from the UK (IoW) believe it or not and they thrive on clay soil with no watering and baking sun and actually flower every year. I do water them a couple of times a week. They are excellent when you have a graze, bite, cut or whatever ... just break a bit off, take out the juice and spread on the wound. Put the rest of the cutting in a baggie in the fridge and it keeps for a long time ... till next you need it!

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Mine has been in a "box room" for years. "Box room" is not quite right, as its a room with quite a lot of traffic, so it gets seen and watered ...

... several months ago we took the false-ceiling down in that room to change the plumbing for the bathroom above. Everything out, including Aloe vera, which was put on top of a filing cabinet with no direct light from the window. All Summer I've been watering it only when I go "Oh xxxx!!" when I spot it on top of the filing cabinet ...

... it looks absolutely fine with that level of neglect and poor light, as do the money plants that were evicted there at the same time !

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,886
    I also find this will grow reasonably well without strong light, strange for a succulent.
    I think you need good light for flowering, but if you move a plant grown in poor light into direct sunlight they do suffer.
    Usually they go brown, not crispy, just the plant body goes brown and takes a long time to get growing again.

6. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
    ok - give me a little while to find the camera!

Here it is:
    1.jpg

7. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    it look like a barbadensis , as many aloe are sold as aloe vera actually there are lots of different variety of vera ....sometime I`ve found aloe ruba in my local market sold as drinking aloe.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,225
      sal,

A vera is the same as A barbadensis.

The need as much sun as the can get, and should get uo to about 60cm before the will flower.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      Sirius this is my point , Miraflores aloe will never reach 60 cm as I got one exactly the same , they are just spreading all over ,reach a certain hight and start to bend because they are too heavy , the one I`ve seen was huge and looked like this one in the picture , that look like will reach 60 cm and then flowering.
      Too many aloe are called aloe vera , but wich one is the real one?
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • miraflores

Ratings:
        +2,389
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,886
        I had one flower this year.
        It was the most neglected miserable plant you could find, about a foot high.:)

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,225
        sal,
        I do agree that loads of plants are named Aloe vera by people who don't have a clue.

But this is one i actually wouldnt bother with. There are so many fantastic miniature species of Aloe.