1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Alpine Garden

Discussion in 'Alpine Gardening' started by Gillypetunia, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I made a little apline garden this weekend. I have a trough that is about 1 metre long by 15cm's wide. I have planted 10 small alpines and lined the top with gravel and large stones. It looks really sweet! I might post some pictures.

Has anyone here had any experience with alpines? What ones do you like / suggest?

thanks

GP [​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I haven't used them a great deal, but am currently planting a fairly large rockery, and my favourites have to be saxifrages of various sorts.... here's a link to info and pics about a lot of them

saxifrages on Wikipaedia

Other than that, I'd go to your local garden centre, and see what's available, look up the net about them, and see how they fit in with your ideas.

I think Palustris is the most likely person to help you with more info on alpines, though - he's likely to pop in soon!

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    I have a little experience with growing alpines. Trouble is that there are so many plants from the extremely difficult to the dead easy. It all depends on how much space you have, how much time you have to spend on them, how much 'fussing' you want to do, your soil, aspect and lots of other things too.
    I like Phlox douglassii and subulata hybrids, they are all easy. There are some super Dianthus. Campanulas are good. Heavens I could go on for ever.
    Ask a specific question, it saves a lot of time!

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I like the little rock roses ? helianthus (ask dendy) and I like VVVvvvvveronica ..sorry once went to a dinner and sat next to a lady with a stammer called veronica - oh and I have a nice little varigated tyme which you can also use for flavourings.
    good luck with it all

5. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone ;) The little alpines look super cute and some are even starting to flower already.