1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Alpine Strawberries

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Greecko, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    Anyone else love them? There used to be far more wild strawberries around where I live, but most are gone or cut away unfortunately, could lways fin an odd one in the hedge, very small but fantastic with sugar and milk!

I picked up 6 plants for £1 today, all were under a large trolley with the 2 at the front actually mosit with a strawberry half ripened each, however the back 4 are bone dry, Ive set them in a cool windowsill in the garage and watered them, theyre in a large pan that has water at the bottom, should i drain it in the morning or leave it for the roots at the bottom to pick up?

thank you!

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Are wild strawberries and alpine strawberries the same thing?

3. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    No dont think so, I presume there are various varieties of them? but taste wise and looks theyre similar, but these alpines are much bigger than the ones we had around here, just like the change in taste etc from "normal" strawberries

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,596
      We've got a gazillion wild strawberries growing in woodland near us. I keep meaning to go there when they're due to send out runners to see if I can pinch some, but I keep forgetting. In one local wood, there's literally a good 10 acres that I know of that's covered in them.

Anyway, in answer to your question, if it were me, once the compost is nice and soggy, I'd take the pan of water away for now and just water normally. The roots need air, otherwise the plants will effectively drown. A good soak like you've given them will do them good, I've saved a fair few plants myself using the same technique, but once soaked, you need to let them breath again.

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      Im very jealous of that, Northern Ireland on a whole is one of the worst in Europe for its % of land that is woodland, nevermind what is actual natural and not for commercial purposes, if i ever come across the wild variety ill try the same! do you ever pick them? to be fair there is little taste on their own and a lot of picking for a mouthful!

Thanks clueless, was thinking the same thing, but was just worried about drowning them, ill drain the water tomorrow and make sure their well watered, for just 6 plants theyll go into a couple of large tubs, if I ever get room they may go elsewhere

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        The ones I know of are all growing on a valley wall in some local woods. At the bottom, the understorey is almost entirely wild garlic, merge to almost entirely wild strawberry rising up the valley side, so I guess the ideal conditions are as wild garlic but either slightly more light, or slightly less wet. I don't know if that helps, but maybe it might help you track some down if you know where the garlic grows, worth a look. I'd offer to send you some but they're not mine to send. I have seen the seeds on sale in a few places though.

• rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +434
        I grew a whole packet of Alpine Strawberries last year spent a lot of time and trouble on them, what a disappointment they were, wooly not nice at all, a waste of time pulled them out into the compost bin now back to stick with what you know!

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
        +86
        yeah we dont have any natural woods around us apart from what we own, but thats mountainous and ive looked before!

Rosietutu they definitely are a taste of their own, but i love them! without sugar they are a little bitter. But they should be easily grown, can survive with less water and lighting isnt essential, however time and space would be better spent on commercial arieties of course if your wanting substantial amounts, mine will ust hang about fo either myself or the birds to chew, where im putting them its costing zilch, but i agree they maybe arent worthwhile for many

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,808
        PLanted a few wild strawberries in the front garden and have spent ever since pulling them up! They're good spreaders lol

Taste sensations mind, and exceptional in prosecco.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        No, the Alpines are bigger and pointy, unlike our native strawberry which is rounded.

I got some alpines that have followed me from my old house by hitching a lift in the olive tree pot. They have made themselves at home on the front door steps.

• Like Like x 1
        • theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
          +149
          I have alpine strawberries that did like Zig's and hitched along in pots with other plants when we moved. Once the new garden is de brambled and nettled, I'll be happy for them to escape to run about under shrubs and trees. They taste so ...summery! Even seem to ripen in shady spots and can soon be removed if they're in the wrong place.
          I made some jam last year, only two little pots but I think it was lovely. My O.H. said he preferred cultivated strawb jam though!

• Like Like x 1
          • clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,596
            I'm liking the sound of these alpine strawberries. I think I might get some and let them loose.

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
            +86
            Ive just planted my 6 little plants in a 30cm pot, so going to let them work away in that, just popping them outside when the weather permits, mine are currently putting out strawberries even now and they do ripen in the shade easily, dont seem to stop!

When I have room theyd be lovely to plant out, anyone any idea how long they live or is it much like the cultivated? best to keep the runners and lift the older plants? Mine are small so presume to be quite young

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
            Ratings:
            +3,035
            They'll more or less last forever and spread quite rapidly. We started with one small patch in a fairly shady and wild area of the garden but they now pop up all over the place due to birds dropping seeds.