1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Lawn - Heath Pearlwort

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Mike77, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Anyone made a lawn out of Heath Pearlwort? If so any disadvantages?

According to the website I'm looking at it's hardy, tolerant of most soil and conditions, low maintenance (no mowing). Pictures online look nice.

Basically I'm starting a lawn from scratch and considering alternatives

Mike

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,153
    I have quite a big area planted with it to give the appearance of a flowering lawn. It's lovely to walk on but mine doesn't get much wear so I'm unsure it would stand up to kids playing football on it for example. Mine went a bit brown earlier this year when it was very dry (I have very light dry soil) but has recovered now with all the rain. The biggest issue was establishing it and preventing the weeds taking over, I spent a long time going over it hand weeding for the first two years.

I would suggest you get rid of all weeds before planting, maybe lay it fallow and keep hoeing off any plant that appears for a year.

The other downside is the cost, it's not that easy to grow from seed (I tried twice) and buying enough plants was prohibitive for my area. Eventually I bought a few plants and just kept splitting them taking cuttings, it took me two years to bulk them up so I had enough for my planting. Even then I had gaps between the plants, which is why I had to keep weeding to begin with. Once it established it forms a really dense mat and smothers all but the toughest of weeds.

So it's maintenance free in the sense that it doesn't need mowing, but you will need to spend a fair bit of time weeding it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      I was wondering about doing a little area myself. I was looking here.. it is expensive I agree John.. I would have to keep the dogs away from it though as it won't stand up to pets...

Heath Pearlwort Lawn

• Like Like x 2
      • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
        +172
        Ok so I'm seriously considering doing this. I too was looking at the vicoriana website and at 36 plants per square meter it works out pretty expensive. I've seen this place which is cheaper Sagina 'Green'. They don't have enough in stock right now for the size of area I want to do so it looks like I may put it off to next spring.

• Like Like x 1
        • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
          +172
          Update on this. I bough 5 plugs from victoriananursery about a week ago. I've planted them as a test and I'll see how they fair through the winter and spring. If the test is successful and they don't die I'll consider doing the full lawn.

• Like Like x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
            +172
            Further update. My test plugs survived and thrived even under a few feet of snow so i decided to go for it. I got 600 plugs from a wholesaler and got half of them down last week. Want to get the rest down this weekend but the weather is meant to be rubbish so we'll see. I don't think I have enough as there is another area out of the picture to cover as well and i cleared out the wholesaler. I'll probably try and propagate the rest by dividing them as they grow. Hopefully they'll grow fairly quickly and close up the gaps between each other. Further photos to come.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,153
              This is how mine looks at the moment, it's underplanted with spring flowering bulbs which are now dying off, otherwise it looks wonderful now it's all in flower:
              IMG_20180528_125202591.jpg

IMG_20180528_125150993.jpg

• Like Like x 2
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +46,153
                Here's the progress on mine. First planted in 2015:
                20151018-PA180033.jpg

2016:
                20160528-P5280028.jpg

2017:
                20170410-P4100053.jpg

• Like Like x 3
                • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +172

It's looking great. Gives me hope. So far the weather today is looking not too bad but thunder storms forcast for later. I'll get out shortly and try and get another tray planted.

• Like Like x 2