1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

aluminium containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by paulo, Apr 20, 2006.

1. paulo

paulo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the opportunity to manufacture some aluminium containers at work. I was thinking of growing my tomatoes in said containers. Does anyone reckon this inadvisable,would it maybe impair flavour for instance?

2. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I doubt if it would have an effect on flavour. I would worry though about the possible leaching of aluminium oxide via your watering and being taken up by the roots?

Aluminium poisoning - Altzeimers - I would stick to plastic pots just to be safe! ;)

Unless you have a means of coating them? IMHO

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Metallic aluminium oxidizes very rapidly to Aluminium Oxide (alumina - precious forms are ruby and saphire) which is prety well inert in the body. Al203 has a very strong bond (ionic from memeory). In normal atmosphere the oxide forms a complete protective layer over the metal which inhibits further oxidization. What is likely to happen though is thin sheet in contact with soil and compost will quickly loose its protective layer of oxide and become porous unless it's a resitant alloy and/or it has been annodised.

It's a personal thing but I've seen alluminium containers (usually cast and polished) and they look pretty awfull. I much prefer plastic, wood, teracotta or glazed ceramic.

For growing toms you can get empty flower buckets from florists either for free or nominal cost. Simply pierce a few holes in the bottom and you are away. I really don't think it worth the effort of trying to make something from scratch

As a matter of interest, some plastics have nasty colourants and plasticisers in them that can leach chemicals over a long period but if anyone is worried go for food grade (wine making) buckets etc.

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    paulo - if I was a tomato, I would prefer a tomato-grow bag: big compost bag, where you pierce some holes and you grow tomatoes directly in there.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    plastic grow-bags - plasticisers again!! :eek: :rolleyes: