1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I being over-excited? Here's what I've planted indoors

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by boogaloo, Feb 11, 2012.

1. boogaloo

boogaloo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    First year I'm going to have a crack at gardening, so I suspect I've jumped the gun a bit... I've started off a few plants indoors, in the germination stage, with a view to keeping them inside for a month or so, then moving them in to a mini greenhouse I have, or a small coldframe. They'll then go out in the garden (or stay in the greenhouse as appropriate).

Bear in mind I'm in Scotland and we're not having the crazy cold weather (I know, I'm shocked too) that some parts of the UK are. Of course, that might well change. However I'm hoping the fact that I plan to use a small greenhouse and the coldframe will mitigate too much risk.

So far I've planted...

- Lobelia
    - Earlibird Geranium
    - Radish
    - Sweetpea
    - Tomato
    - Onion
    - Peppers
    - Chillis
    - Aubergine
    - Nasturtiums
    - Broadbeans

Am I being wildly optimistic? I know the answer's yes, but I'm hoping that at least a few will survive and I know I need to do what I can to keep the growing season for as long as possible.

I've also got some leeks, carrots and onions that I planted in the early autumn (musselburgh leeks, autumn king carrots, can't remember the carrots) and they're still very small... I'm assuming that when spring comes they'll kick off again??

Any advice appreciated!

Boog

• Like Like x 3
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      nice one boogaloo:thumbsup:ive done various chillis,peppers,toms and the pearl flower today and potted up cactus cuttings ..no window ledges left now :mad: hopefully temps will go up now so i can do more and put them in greenhouse :)

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I don't know about all of them, just some of them, but here goes.

Lobelia - Is this the little annual, or the taller, upright perennial? There's loads of lobelias with very different characteristics.

Radish - They are so fast growing you might have to just keep the crop you've already sown indoors. I might be wrong. I know in the main season, they only take about 6 weeks from sowing to harvest.

Peppers - Should be ok if you make sure they get enough light once they come up. They hate shade. They take about 3 weeks to germinate, and need quite a bit of warmth to get started so they'll probably be ok if you have a sunny windowsill, but if they come up too soon, they'll struggle for light. They can't go outside even in a cold frame until the weather picks up a bit. They just can't stand the cold. Same deal with the chillis. Once the weather does pick up, watch out for aphids. Pepper plants seem to be a magnet for aphids.

Nasturtiums - These are the ones I'd be a little bit worried about. They are so easy to grow, they'll germinate about a week after sowing if its warm enough. The trouble is they grow very fast, and sown now, they'll be wanting more space than you can typically give them indoors before its warm enough to go out. They are a fantastic plant, but their one weakness is their total inability to stand any hint of cold. A mild frost will do extensive damage to them, especially when young. A hard frost will make them do an impression of boiled cabbage, literally looking like they've been cooked.

Good luck though. I'm sure you'll have a good success rate. Don't beat yourself up if some fail. I doubt if anyone gets a 100% success rate.

• Like Like x 4
        • boogaloo

Ratings:
          +6
          What a helpful bunch you are! Thanks for the replies.

I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what kind of lobelia. I will dig out the seed packet in the morning and check. I assumed they were all just annuals. That's certainly what I thought I was growing - a little bedding plant to add a splash of colour.

Thanks for the words of caution about the peppers and nasturtiums...

The windows I have them in face South East - we have only just moved house a short while ago so I don't yet know exactly what timings they get sun, but there's certainly nothing 'in the way' in terms of buildings or trees.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
          • boogaloo

Ratings:
            +6
            One minor addendum... my Nasturtiums haven't yet broken through the soil in their little pots - if they're likely to grow to fast am I best to put them outside for a while so they don't get too cocky and stay nestled up, or would that kill them off if they've started germinating under the soil already?

• clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,596
            From the description of the lobelia, I'd guess they are just the little annuals. I've only grown them once and I did it very wrong (accidentally spilled the whole packet into one pot, and then just shrugged my shoulders and left them to it). They did ok until they started fighting over space, and then they all died. So I can't offer any advice about them, except maybe not to accidentally spill the whole pack of seeds into one pot:heehee:

A south east facing window is probably as good as it gets. Should be plenty sunny enough for most stuff. The only thing to watch out for is if the room is warm anyway, south east facing windowsills can get a bit too warm, drying out the compost and making the seedlings grow leggy. Should be ok at this time of year because there's not much energy in the sunshine yet, but just keep an eye on things once the first hint of spring arrives.

• Like Like x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Joolz , window ledge space plus compliance of spouse limits all our gardening plans :D I use the stealth method ~~ " look at these pretty seedlings , oh light of my life , I will just leave them here for a day or two :sunny:" , you then have possesion of another window ledge :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
              • clueless1

Ratings:
                +19,596
                I believe there is a medieval English law that nobody has ever got round to updating. Your stealth method remind me of it. If I understand correctly, this ancient law says that if you can place your flag or coat of arms on someone else's castle, and keep your flag there on the castle for 3 days and 3 nights, then you automatically own it.

• Like Like x 1
                • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +5,385
                  hi harry,its the kids that moan :mad: darran wouldnt care if seeds trays filled the floors aslong as he could get to his guitar collection :heehee:
                  i might get him to make me window ledge shelving :D problem solved :loll: plus pop the kids off to boarding school :D x

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,946
                  I'd hate to deter someone new to gardening boogaloo, the impatience can be very difficult to bear at this time of the year.:)

But I've yet to open a seed packet, might get to it next weekend with a few onion seed.
                  You will find later sowing always catch up on the early ones.

But I know its difficult to resist.:)

• AngelaW

AngelaW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi all

I'm fairly new to gardening, having had a dabble only in the last three years; but I've noticed that where I am based ( Carlisle ) I need to do things a month after everyone else, just to avoid bad weather!

I too find it difficult to not plant things as early as everyone else ( or even earlier! :) ) - but you will find that you get better and stronger plants if you wait just a few weeks more.

On the other hand - just plant and see what happens - enjoy the thrill! It's always exciting!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,594
                  Like you Angela I don't start my seeds off until March, although the island is a warmer place than most at this time of year, we have a cold damp air here that is no good for the younger plants.

You're right about the frustration of waiting when everyone else is getting things under way. :)

The only seeds I've started off indoors are some dwarf irises and they are looking healthy so far.