1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Cutting Back My Salvias Correctly?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Nikolaos, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,288
    Hi All,

Bought three salvias a few months ago. Was wondering if I'm doing the right thing with the way I'm cutting them back. I'm particularly worried about my Salvia 'African Sky', think I cut back far too hard!

Is what I did with nemorosa 'Blue Marvel' (green pot) about right? I just cut down to healthy-looking growth.

With x jamensis 'Nachtvlinder', I'm not sure what to do, shall I just cut down to where my finger is (around 5 inches), where the healthier-looking leaves are?

Salvia 'Nachtvlinder' | sage 'Nachtvlinder'/RHS Gardening

The last one is where I fear I went too far by cutting it right down! The RHS page just wasn't clear and didn't mention a pruning group. As you can probably see, there are some shoots coming, but will it recover to its former glory, do you think?

Salvia 'African Sky' | sage 'African Sky'/RHS Gardening

Thanks,

Nick

DSCN1171.JPG RSCN1173.JPG RSCN1175.JPG

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,496
    I am not to familiar with these salvia but the nemorosa fine that how I treat mine. I grow a few other tender ones amistad etc I cut them back to about a foot then cut back again to the nicest bud in spring. There is quite a few salvia enthusiast on the forum one will see it sooner are later. I do think you've cut the African sky a bit low but its budding up so I wouldn't worry to much about it

• Like Like x 1
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      Thanks @Perki, good to know that I've done the right thing with the nemorosa! :) I also have a 'Caradonna' which is the same species so I assume pruning is the same. Another one I forgot to mention is the uliginosa I bought more recently, not quite sure if it will survive the winters here in Nottinghamshire as it's an H4-H5 zone, but it should be OK. :fingers crossed:

Nick

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      Well, I cut the 'Nachtvlinder' down to around 5 inches since I got no further replies, hope I've done the right thing! Hope the 'African Sky' recovers, it was incredibly floriferous in late Summer for such a young plant, only bought it early last Spring, I think. @NigelJ, @longk any thoughts? I know you're both keen salvia growers. :smile:

Nick

• Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +823
      I'm new here but have grown salvias for some years. My biggest mistake has been NOT cutting them down in the spring! If it's in the ground during a frosty winter I don't have to be that careful as frost done it. So my thinking is to cut as far as a bud that has some green on the stalk, I.e. It's alive! If the plant's been mulched then search carefully by scraping material away. Mind you the best advice I ever had (at Ashwoods nursery on a course) was to wait! Don't go looking too soon. Patens, a hardy one here produces masses of shoots that slugs love and 'prune' them as well, particularly in big pots!