1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,566
    Just reading the news about Jihadi John allegedly being 'evaporated' by a US drone strike, and there is an image showing where the strike is alleged to have taken place. In that image, there is a quite a substantial looking building that is suggested to be the ISIS headquarters.

So, this being the case, why on earth is it still there? Surely one of the first things that should have been done is to drop something very heavy, and highly explosive on this building?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Trouble is I guess, Isis don't actually own anything. They've simply stolen everything they currently have. I guess the goal is to eliminate IS and still have things to give back to the owners afterwards.

I know that can't work in every case, but we must remember the very delicate position we're in. There are factions even within our own borders that are utterly opposed to us (by us I mean our allies and/or the UK) bombing anything, even if the target is the manifestation of pure evil. Some such factions mean well, some not so, but in any case us targeting anything will upset some people.

The tricky situation we're in is that we have to somehow take out the pure evil that is IS, while not doing anything to make us look like the aggressor, and by minimizing collateral damage, we hopefully don't fuel the IS propaganda machine too much.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Also, after we've sorted out someone else's war for them, guess who will be expected to pay for the rebuild.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,566
        I have a feeling that Russia won't give a monkeys about IS propaganda machine - in fact, I am really surprised that Putin hasn't already shoved a nuke up their rear ends.

You are of course correct @clueless1, but maybe that is why we are having planes full of civilians blown out of the sky? Is it not time to stop wringing hands and actually get in there and blow the living daylights out of them?

• clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Russia can do what they like. I'm sure us, the US and our 'western' allies would be only too happy for Russia to make a lot of enemies.

As for us just blowing them all up, who though? If we were to indiscriminately bomb things, we'd soon have lots more enemies.

Also, with IS claiming to have blown up that Russian passenger plane, they may well have done. The likes of you and I will never know for sure, but it certainly suitsthe US government, who can't seem to accept that Russia is a potential strong ally on this, but had adopted a strategy that the US didn't approve of. Russia's strategy was to back the Syrian government so that a unified force. could tackle IS. US can't abide Russia and can't accept the possibility that the Russian strategy is likely to be more effective than theirs, so anything that might make Russia go ballistic with IS will be considered advantageous to the US.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Wasn't the case with Saddam and Ghaddafi 'palaces' and 'control & command centres' that they'd wait until they thought they were occupied by legit targets, rather than being stuffed with hostages/women/children/etc., before bothering to blast them?

P.S. Really hope they got the evil b*******. If special forces lives had been risked trying to bring him to trial, that would've only risked a whole load of further hostage taking, plus this action might be a bit of a disincentive to potential future IS recruits.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,886
            I hope they got him, trouble is we are probably breeding the next generation looking to take his place right now.
            I'm sure he was a very nice person, before he became "radicalised".:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Is it just me or is that word, "radicalised" just getting over used, for a bunch of murdering fanatics?

• Agree Agree x 1
            • clueless1

Ratings:
              +19,596
              Yes. It takes some of the blame away and puts it on someone else.

There used to be a saying when I was a kid. "if they told you to jump off a cliff, would you?". The obvious meaning being that it doesn't matter what anyone else says, we're each responsible for our own actions.

That's not to say that the people doing the radicalising are without blame. There have always been erm poo stirrers and nobody ever likes them.

It's about time we all just tell it like it is. People are not 'vulnerable to radicalisation', some people are just fundamentally bad. If someone has an ounce of decency, no amount of poo stirring will persuade them to lop an aid worker's head off.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                Ratings:
                +28,457
                If we managed to 'eliminate' IS that would still leave Al Qaeda, they merged for a while but are now separate again.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,886
                  I dont think we will ever be clear of this bunch of fanatics in the future, they will continue to reinvent themselves what ever we do.

Its actually been going on for a long time already.

The destruction of dictators in the middle east appears to leave the power vacuums for them to fill, so I'm all for Russia supporting Asad in Syria, he might not be our idea of a leader but he is better than the alternative.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,566
                    Well, after the goings on in Paris last night, I think the time has come for the international community to stop worrying about pseudo-offence, and give ISIS a proper kicking.

Yes, there will be collateral damage - well, tough... The collateral damage is already happening, with hundreds of people murdered in this month alone.

Our parents and grandparents fought hard, many making the ultimate sacrifice, through two world wars to ensure our future would be safe and free - do you think they would just sit back and do nothing under these circumstances? I think not.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • clueless1

Ratings:
                      +19,596
                      I've only just read what happened in Paris. Obviously I'm saddened by the actual incident, but I also feel a sense of something between despondency and despair at the knowledge that there's not a think anyone can or will do to prevent it happening again.

The fact is, and the dogooders won't like or accept this, but Europe has in recent weeks granted total freedom of movement to IS.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting for a second that every refugee is a terrorist. But with borders being left wide open to thousands coming in from an IS held territory, and absolutely no screening going on, how can anyone think that IS would not take advantage of that? They've already, some time ago, publicly stated that they intend to take much of Europe. If all the thousands of people coming in are genuine refugees, then why are they walking straight through perfectly safe countries? And why are they breaching border fences when the actual crossing points are open? And why are so many able bodied young men running away and leaving their families behind? And when we would naturally refuse to open our homes to, say, a homeless ex British soldier, so many people offered to open their homes to complete strangers coming in from IS held territory.

And why, if you ask such logical questions, are you automatically a heartless racist? You should see the Facebook chatter. It is largely divided between those that believe all those coming in from Syria are terrorists, and those that believe they are all saints. Why can't people see that while the vast majority are likely to be innocent, there will always be a minority that take advantage of the situation.

• Like Like x 2
                      • clueless1

Ratings:
                        +19,596
                        Today the decision will be made by government whether or not to bomb IS in Syria.

While I agree in principle that we need to tackle IS, I worry that as things stand, it will be war just for Cameron's sake.

Turkey is allegedly trading with IS while claiming to be fighting them.Russia is just bombing everything and threatening everyone, the French are bombing sites that independent observers claim had already been abandoned, and the US is too busy arguing with Russia to focus on the task at hand. Oh and the Germans have got involved, in a non-combat roll, while their own government admits that most of their aircraft are actually bust.

So what will our involvement be? All we're being told is more air strikes. Well, I'm no tactician, but I'd kind of believed that to win a war you have to engage the enemy on every level. Air strikes are one part of that, but then you need ground forces to capture and hold land, you need to improve conditions for the innocent bystanders so that they don't grow to hate you, you have to cut off funding and supplies and freedom of movement for the enemy, you have to win the propaganda war to prevent them acquiring new recruits, and you have to have a clear exit strategy that involves ensuring stability and reducing the risk of it flaring up again when the next group of maniacs see a power vacuum to be filled.

If Cameron knows all this, he either doesn't care or is keeping it quiet. Either way will not do him, us, or anyone else any favours.