1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Am i too late?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by GYO newbie, Jun 24, 2017.

1. GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +178
    So i planned, planned and planned again; but havent really planted enough!

Some of what i have planted hasnt been successful. Broccoli bolted, turnips dug up by the neighbours cats and peas just didnt do anything.

What can i plant still from seed? I do not have a greenhouse but i do have a very sunny south facing back garden. I live just outside of Newcastle upon Tyne. I have more seeds than the average garden centre. I have shallow raised beds to plant in.

Thank you in advance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      More peas and carrots, spring onions, kale, turnips, radish, beetroot, lettuce, direct sow leeks, chard, perpetual spinach, spring cabbage and runner beans.. been looking myself as I got a bit more room to play with.

• GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
      +178
      Thanks. Beds are not deep enough for carrots, but yes to beet, i can try peas again, and try leek. Is it too late to try broccoli, turnip again?

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      According to my Fothergill pack you can sow turnip from mar- jul.. Not got broccoli seed myself was given plants off someone who had too many, sorry. What about short stumpy carrots? I got a variety called Paris market and I know theres another called parmex

• GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
      +178
      Yes - will try that thanks.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Check out the round rooted carrots GYO newbie. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,782
        The advice we give in this thread is general. It is up to you to take it and adapt it to your own regional growing conditions.

The way I would do it is to separate the crops into three groups depending on how long they take to mature and become usable:

a) up to 40 days;
        b) up to 70 days;
        c) over 70 days;

Plant more than you need in order to hedge your bets in case of crop failure. You can always thin them down if required.

If you want food on your table asap then, with some vegetables, you have to change your expectations of the end product. For example, with root vegetables like radish, beetroot and turnips, aim for the leaves instead of the root.

People who have never really known hunger are quite wasteful, especially when it comes to root vegetables. They harvest only for the root part and throw the rest away! This is what I regularly observe from the newbie members of our community garden.

Did you know that there is even an Indian curry recipe for pumpkin leaves?

For the 70 day crops, I would recommend some of the Chinese vegetables like gai choy (mustard greens), gai lan (Chinese broccoli), chrysanthemum greens (Glebionis coronaria), bok choy and choy sum.

Once the crop is mature enough, be sure to harvest it and then plant out the next crop bearing in mind the forthcoming seasonal changes.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          No. Or yes. It depends.

Turnip, when grown commercially, is a stupidly big and bland waste of space. But it's most delicious when it's about golf ball size. You have plenty of time to grow it to that size. And the leaves, often discarded, are delicious. You can sow it right into about mid august if you're happy with delicious but small roots and plentiful young leaves for salad.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,459
          Can't agree more :thumbsup:

When I had my veggie stall on the market in the 1950's one of the favourite veggies was turnip tops. They were in plentiful supply through the wholesalers at Spitalfields Market but I don't think they're grown commercially now. I still, sometimes, grow them in the garden.

Off topic slightly. An old method of trying to stop couch grass encroaching on to your land from next door is to grow a row of turnips between you. Apparently couch grass won't grow near turnips. It worked for me when it was coming through from next door. :blue thumb:

• Informative Informative x 5
          • Like Like x 1