1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Amaryllis question

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Snowbaby, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    Can anyone tell me how many times an amaryllis will regrow please?

I had one over Christmas and cut it back when it died then put the pot out in the greenhouse. I asumed it would regrow at Christmas this year but I've just brought it indoors as its sprouting again!!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,647
    I guess we are talking Hippeastrum.:smile:
    They are flowering out of season at christmas, its just something that the garden centres do to us.
    As a bulb it needs to grow leaves after flowering, to produce a new bulb for the next season, so you only cut back the old flower stem, then allow new leaves to grow, feeding and watering during that period.
    If grown in a cool greenhouse they sort themselves out to spring/early summer flowering.
    Christmas is just silly.:snork:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,267
      I had one for some years that settled down to flowering around Easter. Even set seed one year which germinated but I lost the lot one cold damp summer though.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Mine usually flower around May/June time. I can't be bothered forcing them for Christmas.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
        Ratings:
        +117
        Ooh ok
        So what should I be doing to it just now please? I've taken it into my kitchen, should ihave left it outdoors?
        I've had a couple in the past but binned them after they flowered as I didn't know any better!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,647
        Well, my way was to only cut back the flower stem, after flowering, then you would normally get leaves all summer, first year.
        Then you dry it off.
        In spring, in year two, you start watering as the temp rises, it then puts up a flower spike, followed by another set of leaves, which die down in late summer and you leave it dry till the following spring.;)
        Coming into growth now is not really good, its still out of step with the seasons.:smile:

• Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
        Ratings:
        +117
        Oh dear, I guess I'll just have to see what happens