1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

AmaryllisCa

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Boscombe2015, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Boscombe2015

Boscombe2015 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. Last Christmas I was given an Amaryllis bulb that developed into a very tall plant with lovely red flowers.

I read that the plant will regrow for the next year so I have kept it watered and fed. The flowers long gone I cut the stalk down to the bulb but kept the leaves which have now grown very long but bent over. I've supported the leaves and the plant has grown more leaves.

However, I read the leaves should yellow and die back but mine are still green and thriving.

Can anyone tell me where I go from here. When do I stop watering the plant, what do I do next and how can I get it to bloom again?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I'd be inclined to stop watering about now and slowly dry it off.
    Keep it fairly cool, frost free is good enough once dry.

Then start to water again next spring once the rise in temperature makes the bulb start to move, it should with any luck be a flower bud.

I believe you can grow them as an evergreen, but they will become long and leggy over winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Boscombe2015

Boscombe2015 Gardener

Ratings:
      +3

• Boscombe2015

Boscombe2015 Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Thank you for your advice. Do I cut off the leaves and if so when should I do it please. At the moment they are very long and doubled over.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Dont cut the leaves off, wait for them to die down as you slowly dry the bulb off.
      The trouble with Christmas bought Hippeastrums is that they are being forced into flowering at the wrong time of the year.
      It's best to get them into a habit of spring/early summer flowering, when they do much better, then the subsequent leaves are allowed to grow all summer, feeding with tomato feed and repotting if necessary,
      Drying off in autumn, and keeping cool and dry all winter.
      Wake them up in spring as the temperatures rise and the days lengthen.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Boscombe2015

Boscombe2015 Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Thank you Pete. You have been a great help. I'm not the best gardener but plants seen to thrive! I hate to see flowers die and try to do my best to keep them going. There is so much conflicting information on the internet that eventually I throw my arms up and look totally confused. It's surprising how many so called nursery staff just look at you blankly when you ask them a question.

Thank you again, and fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          Trouble is gardening, or growing plants is not an exact science, so you often get differences of opinion, its what works for you that is the best.
          Usually arrived at by experimentation.
          A knowledge of where a plant comes from in habitat is always interesting, some plants are much more adaptable than others.
          Just learn as you go along, and never give up on a plant until its dead :biggrin: