Amazon compatible ink cartridges

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Daisies, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Not being a person who has much qualms about using compatibles, I decided to see what Amazon has to offer. Imagine my surprise when I found some (Epson) cartridges being offered for �£0.01 each!! Seems like they're giving them away.

Anybody taken advantage of this amazing offer? And what was your opinion of the goods?

Mind, the shipping is �£4.50 per item but don't know if that is per order or per item regardless. Usually the former, no?

On the other hand, I have bought compatibles from the classified ads at the back of computer magazines and never had problems with them, although I have tended to go pack to Epson's own for colour as the colour reproduction is truer.

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I tried compatibles with our new printer that uses catridges with little chips in them. Found they were running out of ink before they were supposed to, they had not been filled with much and the correct amount was not registering on the computer . Sent the whole lot back. Decided it was better to just get the best deal for Epson cartridges, the colours are better anyway. With the proper ones cause it uses 6 cartridges and it tells me how much ink is in each i can run each prectically dry.

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we bought some compatible ink for our old printer which was a epson from amazon we had a large bag of it for very little and it was fine..We now have a different printer and i am having to pay �£12 a cartridge.. :( and it doesnt last very long..i am getting one every month..

4. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What you do is, get a daughter with a boyfriend in the business - he supplies me with compatible cartridges for my Epson Stylus Photo r300 which uses ink like its going out of fashion - great printing though! I feel maybe even though they dont last so long, the comp ones work oput a lot cheaper. I keep meaning to get my old printer working again and use that just for the unimportant stuff thus leaving the Epson for the posh stuff [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am now using my third model Epson printer and have found that each new model becomes more unreliable than the last...the magenta cartridge refuses to print at all! No more Epson for me in future.
    However for those who still use Epson printers I can recommend the compatible cartridges supplied by a web-dealer called "Rubber Frog" (they supply compatibles for other makes of printer too.)

6. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i only ever use compatibles in my old epson 740 printer, without any problems at all. I get them off ebay,delivered within a day or 2. can give you the sellers id if interested.
    I agree that sometimes the colours can be slightly 'off' but it is only slightly. but i've found that its near enough for any thing i need.

Also, it works out a lot cheaper to either send digital images to online photo printers or to take a cd/memory card to my local camera shop and have them developed there. the finished result is much better than my old printer too!

[ 24. November 2006, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: glenw ]

7. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I've had two Epson printers and used compatible cartridges and they workd ok. However both printers developed faults within two years so I've now moved to a Canon Pixma ip5200 which produces excellent photos and has two paper trays - I use one tray for photo paper and the other for normal paper. The problem with compatible catridges for the Canon is that you have to take the micro chip off an original catridge and fit it to the compatible cartridge and it doesn't always work so I've reverted to OEM cartridges.

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I use Rubber Frog often and very good they are too. I have no qualms about compatibles - I just clean the printer heads frequently, almost every time I print anything off, actually (don't do a test print, though).

But I'm still flabberghasted by the Amazon price - I mean, 1 penny a cartridge! I got them for 99p from RF and others and thought that was cheap but ....

And BTW, it was �£4.50 shipping per order so obviously the more the cheaper.
    BTW - there's are also firms that take your used cartridges and pays you for them!

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    On our 3rd Epson printer but due to problems in the past with compatibles we have since used originals usualy bought from 7dayshop.com or photoglossy.com both C.I based, cheap and vat free. [​IMG]

10. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    Just had a look Geoff, yep cheaper than Photoglossy so I will order from them, thanks. [​IMG]