1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

An anniversary tree, Birthday tree, what should I choose.....

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Loki, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    I’m turning, cough cough 27! And my gorgeous hubby and I have been together for 25 years come mid March. Obviously we met at nursery!
    Anyway, can you lovely lot suggest a tree that would give me year round interest? As I don’t have acres I’m realistic. I’m swaying between ornamental and what I think I’d like in the long run.
    Example..... love liriodendron and Cercis. But I want wildlife so I’m thinking crateagus Paul’s scarlet. I’ve already got a hawthorn though.
    Been looking on hilliers , fab site btw!
    My choice would be in good loam, either sun or partial shade, the tree has options!
    As I’m, hhhmmmmm 27 now, I want decent specimen.
    Should say, I’m not one for yellow. As much as laburnums are fab, they are not for me.
    Ultimate height, doesn’t matter. Ultimate width, pref 5 meters.
    Bring on the ideas, please

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,860
      I had a Korean Fir Tree that had 100's of mauve cones after a few years and intend to purchase another one over his way if I can find one..Little issue with pruning as quite slow growing and the fir branches all soft to the touch.....We have done 53 years..no remission either..:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
        Ratings:
        +774
        A tree I am still hoping to get myself at some stage is the black cherry plum. It is likely to get slightly wider than 5metres at some stage but I like the way it has the flowers early in the year and the dark leaf colour for most of the rest of the year. There is a really nice one in a small front garden I pass on my way to work and it is currently flowering and looking very well. On the smaller end of the options with similar colour is the purple leaved elderflower which is a nice tree but may need some pruning to get to a good shape (with the one I have producing a sucker that had to be removed and some funny angled branches that I also had to get rid of) and maybe it is not the best looking tree when the leaves are gone. June berry might also be a good option with nice flowers and edible berries and the leaves have nice variations in colour when they are newly formed or about to fall in winter. The trunk and branches without leaves can also look nice in winter in my opinion.

Happy gardening.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,092
          So many options, I love most prunus, the ones I love they, get to wide.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,092
            :wallbanging::)Love Kansan, way to wide.
            Looking for other species......
            @DianneW .....get what you mean

• Friendly Friendly x 1