1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

An end to lawn edging and subsequent "border creep."

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Doghouse Riley, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I've laid pavers along the side of my lawn, I've set them level with the height of the grass. (Set in concrete on hardcore and pointed). I can now run the Flymo over them for a perfect finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cyril

Cyril Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    nice.I use to leave mine grow over the edge cos my children kept falling on the path so they would cusion the blow:lollol:

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Very good idea - Doghouse. Your garden looks superb and neat for this time of the year.

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Each to their own of course, I like the borders tumbling over the edge. It looks neat.

5. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I'm hoping it will also prevent any small patches of moss forming which when it does, is always on that edge of the lawn. In the front garden where several azeleas overhang the edge of the lawn, the grass tends to die off. So I'm hoping the same treatment may stop some of that too.

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    A lot of work there mefinks :)

7. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Actually, not too bad. I had to break up a lot of old surplus small pieces of York stone to make the hard core. Then mix five bags of concrete mix (expensive way of doing it, but more convenient) with more cement and sand added to make it more workable. The breaking up of the stone with a lump hammer and the mixing was the hardest parts. I laid the 70 or so you can see and another thirty-five in the front garden on Thursday and it was warm enough for the back to "go off" by late afternoon so I got the pointing done too. I pointed the ones around one edge of our front lawn yesterday day after golf and a shopping trip and I replaced some of the turf this morning.