1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

An idiot's guide to taking cuttings?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by 2nd_bassoon, Jun 1, 2019.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    It is looking increasingly possible that we will be moving house at some point in the next 12 months (first time buyers so all a bit vague and deposit-dependant :wallbanging: ). However with that in mind I'm starting to make a note of things in the garden I would like to try and take with me, in some shape or form. Lots of that would, ideally, be cuttings, but I have a terrible success rate so far - does anyone have any hot hints or tips to help me improve things??!!

Plants I'm particularly hoping to succeed with include a couple of roses (one climbing, one bush), a tree-like cotoneaster, and a diosma. I tried with the roses and a couple of fuschias last year but not a single one took root :scratch:

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Diosma and fuchsia can be propagated from now......I find side shoots best. Or wait until mid summer. Try using half and half perlite and mpc 2nd-bassoon. Water well and cover with polythene bag and place out of direct sunshine. :)
    Cotoneaster similarly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,951
      I tend to wait till late July for most woody plants then take semi ripe cuttings of this years growth.

I've had good success by just rooting in water recently.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,677
        For any roses, I'd recommend stealing. Dig them up now and pot up. Perennials are easiest to "divide" just now and pot up all the healthy looking side growth. Cheap washing up bowls with drainage holes punched in work well, you can mix several plants in. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
          Ratings:
          +1,840
          Thanks all - I'll try the perlite tip for sure. Maybe a mix of some in soil and some in water and see how they get on?! And geat shout re washing up bowls - I've got lots of perennials that I was planning on dividing and was dreading the sheer number of individual pots it was going to take!

It has to be cuttings from the roses sadly - one is an established climber that is a good 4m tall, with a trunk like an elephant at the base, and the other is planted over the cat we lost last year, so I'd like to leave it in place and just take a part of it with us.