AN OBSERVATORY FOR THE GARDEN

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by ARMANDII, Aug 12, 2015.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    As some of the GC Gang know I've been contemplating having a Dome Observatory in the garden for some time. I've researched the different models and decided on a 2.2 metre wide Pulsar Dome which will have a motorised rotating roof that will "talk" to the computer on the tripod mount so that both will be synchronised when my telescope is tracking a target.
    So I've sent an e-mail to the makers ordering a White Dome Observatory and also contacted the contractor who will be digging out and laying a concrete base for the Dome to be installed on. He'll also have to cut a trench through concrete paths and the patio to lay three armoured cables from the garage to the right position in the concrete base. So he's coming tomorrow to assess the area and also give me a start date. The Dome has a lead time for delivery of around 10 weeks so it will be the end of October/beginning of November before it's installed. Then I have to paint the inside a matt black or mid grey, wire up 3 RCD Weather proof double sockets inside, connect the power in the Garage to the armoured cables. and then fit red LED lighting into the Dome, fit several security alarms, so it's going to be an interesting venture.
    I do have some thoughts about whether what I'm doing is worth the effort and the money because of our reliably unreliable weather and the constant army of clouds that appear from the West......and this year hasn't been the best for clear skies. A White 11' high Dome in the garden isn't going to exactly blend in but then the other optional colour of green is still not going to camouflage it and stop it from standing out.:dunno::snork: Having said that the convenience of just walking out of the House and straight into the shelter of an Observatory with no direct light pollution in my eyes so that I will be able to acclimatise my eyes more quickly so that I can see better sooner.

Here's the start of it all. with the area marked out ready for digging out and laying of the concrete.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So I'll use this thread as a visual diary as progress of things goes along for those who might be interested.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 9
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      What an interesting project! Sounds expensive. Does this mean a new telescope?

• Like Like x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,282
        Have you discussed it with the cats? I'm sure they'll have an opinion. :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,310
          It's finally underway! :dbgrtmb:

It looks like it's going to be right outside your back door Armandii. Will it block your view down your garden?

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,834
            Funny you should say that, Freddy:doh::heehee:, as I'm going to buy a mint condition, heavily modded Maksutov 180 telescope from the Webmaster of AstroShed who has decided to sell a lot of his gear. It's used mainly for Planetary observation and since Mars will be nearing us next year I can use it then:hapydancsmil:
            Expensive?, it's all relative I guess.:dunno: It's hopefully a long term investment. I intend to use it as much as I can and they say that one of the reasons that many a amateur astronomer gives up is the inconvenience and physical effort of lugging a tripod and mount weight of around 55lbs out of a House, then going back for the telescope weighing around 32lbs to raise it above shoulder height basically with one arm while the other hand turns the two securing bolts as you hold it in the saddle of the mount.
            Then you have to fit a dew shield, power cables for the computer mount and heater for the dew shield or fan if you have one fitted. After that if you're using the GOTO facility you have to use it to calibrate it with at least two stars that you can see and confirm to the computer what they are. That's without the added complication of using a CCD camera for imaging and having to calibrate that and then spend hours on a computer to process the image. At the moment I'm purely a visual astronomer so I don't have to worry about the last. Astronomy can be expensive like all hobbies and you have to stop yourself from getting the latest "must have" gadget...which ain't easy:heehee:
            So as I'm not getting any younger having the scope set up permanently in a weather proof Dome will keep me enthusiastic because I can just step out of the House and straight into the Dome to start, weather permitting, peering through the scope. But it's all a risk in the sense that you can spend a lot of money on the hobby, have all the latest most expensive kit only to find it's useless due to Nature and clouds of water vapour arriving over the horizon and obscuring the skies!!

Oh yes, Shiney, they're negotiating for some nice soft warm beds to be put in:cat-kittyandsmiley: But as the Dome will be fitted with some extra ear shredding security alarms they have no chance of being admitted:hapfeet::nonofinger::dunno: It's one area that needs to be kept clean and so cat hairs will not be allowed.:heehee:

• Like Like x 6
              Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,834
              I've thought about that, Sheal, but I think it's only going to block my immediate front view and I will be able to see to the East and down the West border quite easily. I tried to find an ideal place without having to make some sort of compromise or sacrificing any important part of the garden and I think this is the best answer.:dunno::coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 3
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,078
                What a great project.

My star gazing is a bit simpler and involves lying on my back on the patio and looking upwards.Im lucky as i live in the deepest countryside so light polution is zero so tonight should be amzing if i wasnt stuck in edinburgh tonight :wallbanging:

• Like Like x 3
                • bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +734
                  Will be watching with interest, I spent my first night out on my back last night watching the sky and really enjoyed it

• Like Like x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                    Ratings:
                    +7,491
                    Very interesting. Having a dome makes sense to me as setting everything up without one sounds like a right palaver! I can understand why people would give up. Anyway Armandii, you promised us some photos of the stars....can't wait for those! ;) :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +117,282
                      Wow! I couldn't even get down onto my back - and if I did manage it I would never be able to get up again! :old: :sad:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +117,282
                        I suppose you won't be allowed to have tea in the observatory because of water vapour but I think that it may make a good wine cellar.
                        upload_2015-8-13_8-6-6.png

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                          +100,834
                          Well, I am having the luxury of a accessory bay fitted to the Observatory so I might find some space for a few bottles of Ziggy's Home Brew. :snork:

• Like Like x 2
                          • Funny Funny x 2
                          • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +5,385
                            Are you going to have some flower art on the outside?:) x

• Like Like x 1
                            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                              +100,834
                              I've got a feeling, Joolz, that over flying birds will perform some kind of art work on the Dome.:hate-shocked::heehee:

The contractor [local] arrived today and, once he heard what I wanted done, went through exactly, and I do mean exactly, how he was going to do it, what materials he would use. and why. He really knew what he was doing and is proposing to use cobbles with footings around the concrete base to retain the concrete. He reckons it will take a day and a half to dig out and prepare the base, cut through the patio and concrete area leading to the base with the minimum visual effect. Then the footings have to be left for around two weeks to settle, and then in comes the concrete which, according to him, will take around 21 days to cure. Since the Observatory will take 10 weeks to be delivered I have plenty of time left. I've just formally ordered the Observatory and paid the deposit......so there's no turning back now from building Armandii's Folly!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 7
                              • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +5,385
                                Is he going to cover it or are you letting the kittys and frogs design the base pattern :)
                                Looking forward to seeing it finished :dancy: x