1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anchoring greenhouse to a gravel grid base

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Crobbery, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Crobbery

Crobbery Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone constructed a greenhouse using the plastic gravel grids and gravel as the base. This is my referred option for a new 8x10 greenhouse but looking for advice on anchoring before I go ahead and create the base. Im not sure how I will be able to anchor it if I've filled the grid with gravel.

Would love to know if anyone has done this before and can help. Thanks

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I haven't done this. You could use long ground spikes through the base and into the ground.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

First thing, what make of greenhouse are you getting and are you purchasing their Base, sometimes offered as standard or as an extra; either way essential in our book, it also adds extra height to the structure,

As @JWK says it needs to be properly anchored using the ground spikes than normally come with the Base, but for your good sized 8x10 we would fit 6 spikes, not just the 4 corner ones and concrete them in with bags of PostFix etc, not just pushed into soil.

There are other diy ways of making your own base such as a concrete ring or heavy sleepers, but a lot of work and not cheaper than a normal Base.

Nothing to stop you using gravel inside or outside your greenhouse.

000683.jpg 000685.jpg
    000684.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1