1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

And now for something completely different!

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by mrchips, Jun 11, 2019.

1. mrchips

mrchips Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Lots of dogs and cats on this pet section. I've got neither. I'm sitting in front of my pc with a stupidly tame Indian Ringneck Parakeet sitting on my shoulder trying to steal my hearing aid. In my miniscule living room I've got a bit of a zoo. Two aviaries have a male chipmunk in each, both very tame but they have been declared 'invasive species' so I can't breed them anymore, nor move them except to the vets if necessary. Another aviary has four american Southern Flying Squirrels. They are a delight, very cute but I only see them from about 9 or 10pm as they are nocturnal.
    Because it's pouring with rain and quite cool outside my two Hermanns tortoises are also indoors at the moment.
    In the garden, enjoying the weather, are four call ducks who race around trying to untie my shoelaces whenever I go into the garden. Little sods!
    I also have about 30 zebra finches and 20 odd budgies in aviaries, the former sharing with 6 japanese quail.
    It's a busy life! lol. No time (or room) for dogs and cats as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,508
      What a interesting family of animals you keep mrchips :), I used to always what a chipmunk when I was younger, we had muscovy ducks when I was very young.

I got tropical fish and Bob the cockatiel .

• Like Like x 1
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,904
        Some pictures would be lovely. Do the chipmunks and squirrels get to run around your house/apartment for some exercise?

• mrchips

mrchips Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +8
        Hi Victoria,

Yes, most of them get out but three of the squirrels are rather more nervous than the other and tend to stay in their aviary. The fourth does come out but then worries how to get back in but always finds a way (thankfully). They are a delight and I spend an hour or so each night with my head and shoulders in their aviary, they will take food from my hand and occasionally sit on my hand eating it but are soon away.
        [​IMG] [​IMG]

The chipmunks are very tame and will explore everywhere they can, particularly the kitchen. I've got two boys, dad and son. I used to breed them but not allowed any longer sadly. The last mum I had died a couple of weeks after having a litter so I suddenly became mum and bottle fed the babies myself so they became very used to being handled and running round the place.
        003.jpg Dad's the white (dilute).

The parakeet runs the place.
        [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
        • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,904
          They are SO cute ... I just love the flying squirrel.