1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anemone - a couple of questions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Jan 25, 2017.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    My anemone was starting to get out of hand last year by taking over the flower bed and I said to myself that I would reduce its size this year. Now I'm wondering how to go about it.

I can't lift the whole root system, I don't want to either as I want at least half of the plant to stay where it is. However, I'd like to work away at the edges and transplant some of that root material elsewhere.

What is the best way to go about this?

Also when? Is now a good time?

Finally, the plant has a lot of mostly dead or dying old flower stems from last year - is now a good time to cut those out?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    i am presuming you are talking about Japanese Anenomes? I grow lots of them.I have transplanted them usually in the Spring but have also moved them in the Autumn with no bother. Personally I tend to move herbaceous a bit further into Spring so that the plants aren't having to cope with getting settled in again and winter weather! You are further south than me so maybe middle of march would be ideal. However, you would proably get away with moving things now if you really wanted to. Just get a spade and take your courage in your hands! With a good "sharp" dig you should break the roots off the portion you want to move. You may get the odd bit with no root but the majority will have enough to survive. Then just replant at the same level. Re cutting off the top growth, certainly you can do it now or take it off when you are moving some of the clump.
    Depending on variety, some Anemones have quite substantial "tap" roots while others are more surface rooted. If you type has deep roots as long as you get the majority of the root up there won't be an issue, ie don't worry if bits or root break of.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Sorry, I should have - yes it is a Japanese anemone (a pink one in this case).

Thanks very much for the info and advice, I'll get to work then. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,544
        agree with @silu . mine are tough guys. and also have a huge patch. when I weed and accidently pull one out, I just replant it . or move it elsewhere. with the tap root, it seems to take hold all the time. but in general, my patch is huge, so loosing one is not a big deal for me. OH, and yes you can just use clippers and clip them right down to the ground, no big deal.

• Like Like x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,271
          I agree with the others. They are tough so and so's I have moved one and removed another in the past couple of years. The only thing is they shoot happily from roots left in the ground so I'm still removing shoots 18 months after digging one out.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
            +226
            Thanks for the extra advice, I'll be getting to work tomorrow. :)

• Like Like x 1