1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anemone Du Cane - in Pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ricky101, Sep 15, 2019.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,198
    Hi,

We love these Anemones, they do flower in our semi shaded soil, but never seem to develop into anything as big as you see in typical pictures of them and they rarely seem to come up again the following year or the slugs get them before we see them ?

Thought we might try them in pots, either one per pot or a group of them, but looking for advice on what size pots to use and the best compost for them ?

We intend to plant some now and overwinter in a cloche and plant another packet in spring for summer flowering.

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    As per Carol klein, but seems a lot in a small pot. Screenshot_20190916-121613_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      I put some in a planter that I made for my Mum and they lasted about ten years. When it was over-run with Muscari I hoiked the lot out, replanted the Anenome tubers and they barely did naff all after that so I suspect that they may dislike disturbance. Use a deep pot and plant 4 to 5cm deep in a sandy mix. Keep them dry when dormant and discourage growth into summer.

They're spring bloomers. Try it but I suspect that they'll fizzle out never to return.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,198
        Thanks @longk ,

Will plant the other packet now with a lot more sand in the mix and see if they fair any better.

• Friendly Friendly x 1