Angry Gardener

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fran, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    For the first time - after visiting a garden centre I got really fizzing mad. I bought a hebe x 2 in a 7" diameter, 6" pot - they were in full flower - and I was planning to plant them later this autumn.

But when I took a closer look there were three hebes at least two years old in each of those 7 x 6 pots, and tipping it out, you could see the plants were in diffulties combined in such a small space - some with leaves beginning to stress at the base. Totally root bound (you could hardly see the compost for root), with little osmacote square in the centre. I reckon in another week or two, they would have turned up their toes - so those looking to have flowers on to November - forget it.

Needless to say they have been split (I had to use a bread knife!!) and potted up - but I got really angry about how, a lovely little shrub had been treated, let alone those buyers who would see their acquisition die before they had had much time to enjoy it. Gonna be going back to have a word with the garden centre. :mad:

[ 28. August 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    Go get 'em Fran ;) !!

Nathan.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
  4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,311
    There all up to it, the big ones that is.
    Make it look good for a quick sale.
    The problem is that there are so many people that just want a plant to look nice for a while and when it stops flowering they throw it away and buy another.
    Disposable plants. :mad:

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,123
    [​IMG] Do you think it might have something to do with the instant garden makeover shows??????????
    They drive me nuts, one day we will end up with people not knowing how to grow from seed, just like we have people who don't kow how to cook. :mad: :mad:

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    The wife was given an Orange tree in a large terracotta pot and despite following the care instructions to the letter it died.
    When I took the stump out of the compost it was still in a bl**dy plastic pot :mad:
    The garden centre tried to give her a credit note ...! as if we were going to buy any more of their crap :eek:

7. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    As I'm having a moan,I'd also like to know why there is nearly as much gravel in a bag of J.A.Bowers organic peat free compost I bought as is on my drive!!
    :mad:

8. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,879
    Gravel is cheaper than organic peat ??

Could be the answer.

Nathan

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,123
    :( There seams to be allot of stuff in compost these days, some you want & some you don't. I had a bag of compost once that seemed to be mainly woodchips. Sent a sample to manufacturers customer care team. They agreed the balance of the mix was incorrect & sent me a voucher to spend at local GC. I was satisfied with the outcome. Sad to say have never bought their products since. [​IMG]

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The garden centre visit planned today has been postponed til Saturday due to Katrina - but believe me I will be having a few words then.

I got a good gardening friend in Gulf Breeze - who took a direct hit from the Ivan -the storm surge took out her ground floor and garden, recovering from that, Dennis took off her roof and power, and it has not been replaced in time for Katrina - let alone another storn surge from that ****. So bin plugged into CBC

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,311
    Fran, its good we dont get anything like that over here, 60mph gale is bad enough for me. :(

[ 29. August 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,311
    Thats right Marley, they have done gardening no good whatsoever, but made a fortune for the garden centres.

[ 29. August 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]

13. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Am I the only one who remembers buying plants from someone who actually knew something about plants? most are grown abroad and are just a shelf item. watered and if past 'shelf life' sold to some dear old man like me. mind you get a bargain sometimes.

14. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,879
    I was in a shop recently (not naming which but it had a Q and a D in the name). They had plants on a shelf that had been without water for what looked like a week ... they had wilted so badly.

I guess water and someones time to water them is too costly, probably cheaper to buy new stock.

Nathan.

15. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear! i get all my plants and compost from garden centres thinging i am buying good stuff.(No green house, clay soil takes a long time to warm up, bulbs rot).Have to wait till end of may before i can do anything.