Animated Avatars +

Discussion in 'Site Feedback/Bugs' started by Naylors Ark, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
    +1,019
    As suggested, I deleted and re uploaded my avatar in the hope that it would enable the animation to work. It hasn't worked and still the animation is only visible if you click on the avatar, not on the forum itself. Any ideas?
    Also, is it possible to get a preview when replying to posts without having to use the "options" button. (or to see previous posts while using the options button.)

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,312
    I've noticed that Steve R's giraffe has escaped! :)

3. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Okay Rich as been in touch again and it appears it's problem with our host who haven't enabled something correctly for them to work.

so at the moment animated gifs as avatars will not work however it will be on the priority list of things to get around to sorting in the future

in the meantime if you want to have an animated image the only option is to host it with an external image host and then link to it in your signature.

Regards, Aesculus

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Personally I'd prefer that there were no animated avatars. I have dyslexia and my "processing speed" for the content is abysmal if there are any moving images on the screen (adverts included).

In the past I've just turned off Avatars, but on this new version I don't think I can see which threads I have responded to UNLESS I have Avatars turned on :(

So my vote is for no animated avatars. If they are on Profile page etc. that's fine though. EDIT: In a Signature they are fine too, I have to turn that off for same "Captain Slow" reasons ...

If I find a way to see which threads I am participating in, with Avatars turned off, I'll let you know. I'm happy to turn them off on my profile so other folk can animate them etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      Well as their static at the moment there must be a way to make an option in a users control panel for permanently static:scratch:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      He's away in Africa on holiday at present, you should have seen the problems we had getting him on the plane! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        "If I find a way to see which threads I am participating in, with Avatars turned off, I'll let you know. I'm happy to turn them off on my profile so other folk can animate them etc."

This is how it looks if I have an Avatar uploaded - I get a mini-copy of my Avatar next to a thread that I have participated in:

GC_Avatars1.jpg

and if I have NO avatar uploaded I get the standard image instead:

GC_Avatars2.jpg

but if I turn Avatar's off I get no indication at all that I had participated in the Thread:

GC_Avatars3.jpg

it does turn up on the "Watched Threads" list, but then I have to work from two places which is much more of a PITA :(

GC_Avatars4.jpg

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Hahaha ... OK, get ready to fall off your chairs at my expense !

So I did:

Upload avatar
        Check how things look
        Delete avatar, see how that looks (with default picture)
        Turn off Avatars
        See how that looks ...

Make the post above with example pictures ...

Right, so now I need an Avatar, otherwise I can't easily see what thread's I've participated in.

Upload Avatar - get the "Upload completed" message ... nothing. In the "Edit Avatar" box I get a blank space where the picture shoul be.

Assume that the filename clashes with an earlier one, rename it, upload again, same ...

Change browser in case its a caching issue, upload, nothing. Rename the file again, upload, nothing ...

Then realise that I still have Avatar disabled :hate-shocked:

Enable them, Bingo!

So with Avatar's disabled I can't even see my own in the upload window !!

Ho!Hum! You can stop rolling around on the floor laughing now :)

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,698
        It's quite amazingly simple to miss the simple stuff kristen, I remember writing a script once and I made a few changes to it but could not work out why they where not showing online. After a few minutes it dawned on me that it's best to upload the script before attempting to view the changes... The cleverer you get, the dafter you become!

So I wont fall of my chair laughing at you, but I will snigger a little...

Steve...:)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        No need to snigger mate, its a Bug not a Feature !

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,312
        Kristen,
        If I'm understanding what you are saying then, when I click on "Watched Threads" the avatars should all have my little avatar in the corner. All my watched threads are ones that I have posted in.

What actually happens is that only some of them have my little avatar in the corner :scratch:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I think that if your last post to a thread was BEFORE the upgrade they may not be "marked" in that way?

Its a bit unreliable for me too, but I can't quite put my finger on exactly what is wrong.

For example, here are some screen shots I took earlier today:

In the "Mower to not to mower" thread I last replied before the upgrade, this was how the new post in that thread appeared today:

GC_PreviouslyRepliedThreads1.jpg

and here is my previouos post (before the upgrade):

GC_PreviouslyRepliedThreads2.jpg

But here is the What's New (I've clicked "All recent messages" so that nothing is missed out). The "Announcement of impending move ..." is NOT showing :(

GC_ParticipatedTheads2.jpg

but it IS in the Unread Watched Threads post (note: both screen grabs done at the same time, this message was just 4 minutes old at the time) :scratch:

GC_ParticipatedTheads1.jpg

• RichardRobins

RichardRobins Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I'm running a rebuild of thread marker (so it will work for those posts before move)

it will run for about an hour before it updates them all

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Cheers RR - that would be nice 'coz I think "I'm sure/think I've replied to this" and then faff about scrolling around :wallbanging:

Also, I think at present the first time it get posted to, after upgrade, the What's New link is to the first post, rather than the first new post? Not 100% sure about that though ...

I've done "Mark all posts as read" which (I am assuming) means that anything in What's New AFTER that will link to first post AFTER I pressed "Mark all as read" - but I'm obviously just hoping that's how it works!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Thought you were on holiday? Your plane been delayed just so you can use airport WiFi to sort out your favourite punters? !!