1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Annual fuchsias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,570
    I have quite a few annual fuchsias in my baskets/pots, particularly trailing ones, and note that there are no seeds available from the usual sources; is it possible to obtain seeds for these, or is it possible to bring the plants into the house and over-winter them, or am I on a hiding to nothing?

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hiya F/C.

I wouldn't bother with seed, as I doubt very much they'll be the same as the parent plant. Others here will probably be able to give good advice, but what I would do is wait until the growth stops, cut them back to around a third, and put them somewhere frost free for overwintering. Over winter, just keep an eye on them and don't allow the compost to dry out completely. At some time next spring, you should see new growth start. At that point I would pot them up into fresh compost to get them going and give them a little warmth. Once they get going, if you wish you can take cuttings in the usual way.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers...Freddy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,570
      Thanks Freddy :) - I take it that these are like surfinia etc and seeds are not available to the public to ensure that we trot off to the garden centre to buy plants each year?

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      Yes, everything that Freddy said!!!! :)

Val

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        You're going to get ribbed about that FC ... what's an Annual Fuchsia? (or I'm going to have to eat my hat ... again!!)

overwinter them as Freddie said, and/or take a pot full of cuttings and don't bother potting them on until next Spring (so they don't take up much space and can sit on a windowcill indoors for the winter)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,570
          You lot wouldn't give me a ribbing......... would you???:cry3::heehee:

Of course I mean half hardy fucshias that are more often than not treated as annuals, so we give lots of hard earned to the plant growers every spring.

I will probably cut them back and pop them into pots to over winter (thinking that the strong root system will be beneficial next year?) - how cool/cold will they tolerate though? I either have the choice of the unheated porch (cold, but frost free and a wee bit warmer than the unheated greenhouse) or the windowsills in the house which is centrally heated and rarely dips below 16 or 17º 

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          I would go with the porch, I keep mine in my bubble wrapped greenhouse, also it has a fence protecting the narrow end, and a shed along the length of one side, so it is quite sheltered from the north side and the east, and faces south so any sun going keeps my temps up, I potted all mine up last year, out of the baskets and any I could get up easily from the garden, anything really established is obviously hardy.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • sumbody

sumbody Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +303
            And in the greenhouse if it gets too cold for too long (as per last year) I cover them with fleece (or an old net curtain)

S

• Agree Agree x 1