1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Another little cat friend has passed into cat heaven

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Daisies, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    He's been suffering from, of all things, itchy ears for about 18 months, slowly getting worse and worse. Vet tried everything, tests and meds and everything. Never could come to a real diagnosis except that it 'might' be an auto-immune disease, 'might' be this, 'might' be that. Who knows. One med after another had short term effect then back to square one.

In the end it was pitiful to see the cat sitting in the middle of the room, pawing at his ears and his hind foot going like he wanted to have a go at the ear with both front and hind at the same time! In the end, he'd just sit there with his head hunched into his shoulders, both ears held flat, the picture of misery.

I took him to the vet this afternoon and after another session of head shaking (the vet not the cat!) and looking doleful, lots of clever talk about what it 'might' be, I suddenly realised that I couldn't let this torture go on and said "Let's put him to sleep - you clearly haven't got a clue where to go next and I cannot leave him like this. It's time. Let's do it." and it was done.

He's now out in the car - thought it would be best out there as it's going to be really cold tonight - waiting for me to arrange the pet crem tomorrow. I came indoors, walked into the kitchen and saw his dish there with food still in it and just dissolved into a torrent of tears. How I shall miss my lovely little chap.

Copy of Oscar's passport 1.jpg

oscar pillows.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Daisiees :sad: out of his suffering now and yours too.....it must have been awfull for you to see him in such discomfort....i admire you for your brave and wise decision....:grphg: .....He's sleeping peacefully now bless his heart..........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      Bless you daisees for your heartbreaking decision xx He is gorgeous,ive not seen a pure white cat for 20 yrs which was a friends cat named zoey :wub2:
      Thinking of you xx

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Oh dear:sad:

• Like Like x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,320
          how sad...... but you done the right thing rather than let him suffer , I dont know what to say , apart form what did you call him if you dont mind me asking

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
          • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
            Ratings:
            +50,667
            Daisees, sweetheart, is that your Oscar you have just lost? I can just cry for you because I know how much you loved him ... and the people at the hospital. We thought we were losing our Magic Sam (Boo) last year, but after six week on antibiotics he is still with us, 18 this year.

If you want to call me, please do. xx

• Like Like x 1
            • Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,686
              Yes, he was called Oscar. I got him from the cat sanctuary in 2000 and he was two years old then so he was 15 years old. They'd named him Eskimo (I wonder why?!) but I found that a bit of a mouthful so changed it to Oscar. He loved to come out with me when I was delivering Christmas cards to the neighbours or salting the road when it snowed. Once he even followed right round into the main road when I went to post a letter only he was scared by the traffic rushing past and took refuge in a front garden, yowling his head of because he was scared! We live in a close, you see, so he wasn't used to fast traffic. But once I got near him, he was happy to come out and walk back home with me. I've had nine cats altogether and euthanised eight of them but it never gets any easier.

Thank you all for your kind words.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,310
              I'm so sorry to hear about Oscar. Although it was the best thing for him it doesn't really ease the pain. Our thoughts are with you :grphg:

• Like Like x 1
              • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                Ratings:
                +14,125
                Oh dear Jo I am so sorry to hear this news.. I know he had been having this problem for a while now, but I thought perhaps you had got it sorted... Such a shame they couldn't find the reason for it all but you did the right thing for him & for you.. I have been in that position before only dogs... You will I know miss him terribley & your world must feel very small now, but it will get bigger in time again.. Take care.x

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,046
                  Sorry to hear about Oscar Daisees.

• Like Like x 1
                  • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +28,403
                    I know what you are going through Daisees, it's a hard decision but the right one regards suffering. Our Tikka was 20 when we had her 'released' from the cancer going through her. We have had our present one Millie for 10 years now (think she is around 13) but you never forget the others.

• Like Like x 1
                    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                      Daisees :grphg:

I know, only too well, how hard it is to lose a beloved pet friend. And what a handsome chap he is!

Take comfort in those adorable memories he gave you.

Good luck with getting the cremation you hope for xMx

• Like Like x 1
                      • Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +2,686
                        I took him to the pet crematorium this morning and then when to see my chiropractor. Told him about Oscar and to my dismay, he started telling me how he might have been able to have helped him! It seems he has treated many dogs with itchy spots and found that they actually have spinal pain which he was able to treat! He explained that [SIZE=5](obviously) ani[SIZE=5]mals only have [SIZE=5]the ability to s[SIZE=5]cratch something wh[SIZE=5]atever is wrong, pain[SIZE=5] or i[SIZE=5]rri[SIZE=5]tation, so vets, much like human [SIZE=5]doctors, get a bit 'tunnel vision mentality' and keep looking [SIZE=5]for things wrong in th[SIZE=5]e [SIZE=5]area - in this case, in the ear but it's more likely to be high neck pain. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5]I asked him [SIZE=5]if he would look at m[SIZE=5]y other cat because he has much the same prob[SIZE=5]lem and he said he would. So I am taking my cat to the chiropractor on Sa[SIZE=5]turday morning! [SIZE=5]How about that then! [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

• Like Like x 4
                        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                          Ratings:
                          +14,125
                        • Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,686
                          I know of it. Good stuff.